BOSTON – The Suffolk women's basketball team put together a 60-55 win over Ramapo Saturday afternoon at the Bradley Center to win the 2017 Roadrunner Tip-Off Tournament.
SCORE: Suffolk 60, Ramapo 55
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-1) | Ramapo (2-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
A tight contest held after the first 10 minutes with Suffolk up by three, 16-13. The Rams maintained their edge heading into halftime with a 26-21 advantage. Out of the break, Suffolk grabbed a 48-36 cushion and maintained the distance the remainder of the way to secure the win, 60-55, and tournament title.
- Alexis Hackett had a day, putting together her first double-double effort of the season with 15 points and 14 boards. The sophomore shot 6-for-15 from the field and pulled down 11 defensive rebounds to lead the way for Suffolk.
- Georgia Bourikas added 14 points and six caroms, while Jenni-Rose DiCecco also contributed double figures with 11 to go along with four caroms, four handouts and three takeaways.
- Suffolk held the upperhand on the glass, outrebounding the Roadrunenrs, 44-32.
- In the second meeting between the Rams and Roadrunenrs, Suffolk leveled the all-time series with its first win over Ramapo.
- Ed Leyden used the starting combination of Bourikas, DiCecco, Alexandra Nagri, Hackett and Jordan Hipwell.
- Hackett's double-double was the first of the season and third of her career.
- Hackett was named the tournament's MVP with Bourikas earning a spot on the all-tournament team.
Suffolk opens the home portion of its scheduled Tuesday, Nov. 21 as it welcomes Colby Sawyer to Regan Gymnasium for a 7 p.m. showdown.