NASHUA, N.H. – The Suffolk women's basketball team closed its regular-season road schedule in winning fashion with a convincing 52-37 victory over Rivier at Muldoon Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 52, Rivier 37
RECORDS: Suffolk (18-6, 11-4 GNAC) | Rivier (3-17, 2-13 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a tightly contest first frame, which Suffolk won 11-8, a late nine-point charge capped off by four points by Alexis Hackett sent the Rams into the locker room up 26-14.
Suffolk's momentum carried into the third quarter with Georgia Bourikas sandwiched two hoops around one from Hackett to turned it into an 18-point, 32-14 Ram's contest. Rivier took advantage of a Suffolk scoring draught, but did not come closer than 16. The Rams held that distance to head into the final frame up, 39-23.
Rivier won the fourth frame, 14-13, but the distance was too large for the hosts to make up as Suffolk walked up with the 52-37 triumph.
- Hackett led all scorers with a game-high 16 points on a 6-for-12 connection rate from the floor. The sophomore was one board shy of a double-double with eight of her caroms coming on the defensive end. Hackett added a pair of assists, blocks and steals to her stat line in 27 minutes of action.
- Bourikas netted 10 points, including eight in the second half. She pulled down six boards to go along with two handouts and two steals.
- Freshmen Jordan Hipwell and Jenni-Rose DiCecco each had seven points and nine rebounds to their credit.
- Although they struggled from the field, the Rams outshot the Raiders, 30.6 (19-62) shooting just 30.6 percent (19-62) to Rivier's 25.4 percent (16-63).
- Suffolk also held the rebounding edge, 49-45.
- Suffolk defeated Rivier for the 23rd time overall and third straight meeting.
- The Rams have put together 18 wins for the first time since going 23-4 in 2012-13.
- Hackett recorded double digit scoring for the second consecutive contest and 14th time overall.
- Bourikas contributed digit figures for 18th time this season and second straight outing.
Suffolk concludes the regular season Saturday, Feb. 17 when it entertains Saint Joseph (Conn.) inside Regan Gymnasium. Prior to the 1 p.m. tip-off, the Rams will honor the playing careers of its senior co-captains Bourikas and Alexandra Nagri.