NAPLES, Fla. – Natalie Fraioli's career afternoon paced Suffolk women's basketball to a 66-47 victory over Saint Mary's (Maryland) Saturday afternoon to conclude action at the Naples Shootout at the Community School of Naples.
SCORE: Suffolk 66 | St. Mary's 47
RECORDS: Suffolk (9-4) | St. Mary's (4-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk started early on, taking a 9-2 lead three minutes into the action. St. Mary's climbed back behind 7-2 spurt to cut the Rams' lead to 11-9 with just over four minutes left in the first frame. Over the final two minutes of the opening period, the Seahawks scored six unanswered points to flip the switch in their favor, 18-15. As time expired Jordan Hipwell connected on a jumper to keep it a one-point game, 18-17.
The second was all Suffolk. The blue-and-gold used a full-court press to frazzle St. Mary's and it worked. After trading hoops to open the quarter, a traditional three-point play by Alexis Hackett jump started 10-0 Suffolk stretch that put the Rams up 31-22 at the midway point.
From there the Rams coasted on cruise control going up by as many as 19 ,48-29, with 1:03 left in the first half, a distance that would remain as the teams headed into the locker rooms.
Fraioli anchored Suffolk out of the intermission as the freshman put away seven of the Rams' 11 third quarter points. The combination of Fraioli's offensive output and the Rams lock down defense, which limited the Seahawks to just five points, kept the blue-and-gold in front, 59-34, after 30 minutes.
St. Mary's outscored Suffolk over the final 10 minutes, but the distance was too much for the Seahawks and the Rams walked away with the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Fraioli's 21 points proved to the difference. The Sutton, native came off the bench and went 8-for-17 from the field and 4-for-5 from the charity stripe and added five rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Jenni-Rose DiCecco provided 15 points, four handouts, four takeaways and a pair of caroms.
- Hackett had an all-around day with 14 points behind a 5-for-6 showing from the floor and a perfect 3-for-3 effort at the line to go with a team-high eight boards, three dimes and one steal.
- As a team, Suffolk finished the afternoon shooting 40.4 percent (21-52) from the floor and 76.9 percent from the foul line
- The Rams won the battle on the glass, outrebounding the Seahawks, 45-34.
- Suffolk and St. Mary's met for the first time.
- Fraioli registered personal-bests in points (21), field goals made (8), and assists (2).
- Samari Winklaar had a career-high three rebounds to her credit.