SALEM, Mass. – Suffolk women's hockey fell on the wrong side of a 6-4 decision as Salem State used two late goals to displace the Rams, 6-4, in NEHC action Saturday afternoon at Rockett Arena.
SCORE: Suffolk 4, Salem State 6
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-3-0, 1-1-0 NEHC) | Salem State (2-2-0, 2-2-0 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk scored twice in a 17 second span in the first to build an early two-goal lead. Julia Volpe got things going at the 15:42 minute mark and Emily Johnston followed suit with her first collegiate goal to push the margin to two in favor of the Rams. Volpe recovered the puck on the right side of the goal, which was exposed, allowing the rookie to put the back in the back of the net. Johnston, meanwhile, rifled the puck into the right corner of the net off the faceoff. Haley Poloskey and Jesse Kennedy assisted on Volpe's scored, while Johnston was set-up by Sierra Donahue.
Salem State leveled the playing field in the second with a pair of markers inside the three minutes in just 14 seconds of another one.
In the third, the teams traded goals. The Vikings got the go-ahead score from Jacqueline Sindoris 32 into the third period before Tess Adams equalized the contest 16 seconds later. A powerplay marker from Kylie Currier put the hosts ahead once again at the 2:06 minute mark, before Adams used a powerplay goal of her own 1:07 later to lock the score at 4-all.
The tied game stayed in place until there was 1:22 left in regulation and Danielle Kelly took a shot with Abbey Weisrock out of position to put the Vikings ahead for good, 5-4.
Taylor Wasylk pulled Weisrock in the hopes of the extra skater giving the Rams an edge, instead the Sindoris scored the empty netter for the Vikings for the final 6-4 margin.
- Weisrock stopped 15 shots in the outing.
- Sarah Plourde picked up 34 saves in the victory.
- Suffolk outshot Salem, 38-21.
- The Vikings won the battle in the face-off circle, 40-22.
- Adams led Suffolk's scorers with two goals.
- Volpe garnered a pair of points on one goal and one helper.
- Johnston recorded one goal.
- Duff, Donahue, Kennedy and Poloskey all dished out one assist.
- Suffolk and Salem State met for the first time.
- Adams netted a pair of goals for the second straight game.
- Duff and Kennedy each dished out an assist in each of the last two games.
- Donahue and Johnston each registered their first collegiate points with one assist and one goal, respectively.
- Volpe matched a personal-best two points behind one goal and one helper.
- Weisrock made her debut as a Ram in net.
Suffolk steps out of NEHC action and returns to the friendly confines of Louis E. Porrazzo Memorial Rink for a midweek match against Anna Maria Wednesday, Nov. 14. Puck drop is set for 7:45 p.m.