BIDDEFORD, Maine – The Suffolk women's hockey team kept the University of New England off the scoreboard and down the Nor'Easters, 2-0, as the Rams opened a two-game series with UNE Friday night at the Harold Alfond Forum.
SCORE: Suffolk 2 | University of New England 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (9-5-1) | University of New England (12-3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless first period, Tess Adams wasted little time to get Suffolk on the scoreboard in the second. The senior used help from Julia Volpe and Shana Cote to gain a one-goal edge 3:48 into the action in the middle frame, a margin which held leading into the final frame.
Kristen Caporussokept Suffolk ahead in the third frame as the sophomore goaltender locked down the pipes and stopped all seven of the Nor'Easters attempts leading up to the final 1:27 when UNE pulled Julia Benjamin from the net.
The hosts did not even have a chance to get a shot off with the extra skater as Jesse Kennedy put away an empty netter with 46 seconds remaining in regulation to tack on an insurance tally and secure the 2-0 win for the Rams.
- Caporusso turned aside 32 attempts in the cleansheet.
- Benjamin finished with 23 saves to her credit.
- Five different Rams recorded one point in the victory.
- Adams and Kennedy each scored one goal apiece.
- Cote, Haley Poloskey and Scholz all handed out an assist.
- UNE outshot Suffolk, 32-25.
- The Rams edge out the Nor'Easters in the face-off circle, 24-23.
- Suffolk and UNE met for the first time.
- The Rams registered their fifth shutout of the season, all of which were backstopped by Caporusso.
Suffolk and UNE wrap up the series tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 12 at 4 p.m.