EAST BOSTON, Mass. – Haley Poloskey scored back-to-back third period goals as part of a four-goal run for the Rams that sent Suffolk women's hockey over Castleton, 4-2, Friday night at Louis E. Porrazzo Memorial Skating Rink.
SCORE: Suffolk 4 | Castleton 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (11-6-1, 6-2-1 NEHC) | Castleton (4-11-2, 4-4-1 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk fell in a two-goal hole late in the first frame as Caslteton potted a pair of pucks over a 3:53 span. Aimee Briand got the scoring going on a strike a the 14:11 minute mark with Jade Remilalrd following suit with help from ABriand with just under three minutes remaining in the opening period.
The Spartans kept the Rams there the rest of the way in the second to set-up the thrilling third, which got started just 1:21 in as Poloskey scored an unassisted marker to level the playing field.
Suffolk's comeback continued and exactly six minutes after her first goal of the night, Poloskey scored her second to put the blue-and-gold in front, 3-2. The freshman's go-ahead goal was set-up by Cote and Madison Duff.
Castleton picked up the pace as time ticked off the clock, but the Rams maintained their composure. With 1:06 left in regulation, the Spartans pulled Alexis Kalm from between the pipes in the hopes the extra skater would help equalize the conference clash. Payton Dockus took advantage of the unattended goal and picked up her sixth goal of the season with 47 seconds remaining to secure the league win for the Rams.
- Kristen Caporusso notched 24 saves in the victory.
- Kalm had a 28-save effort in the setback.
- Poloskey posted a two-point night for Suffolk with a pair of goals.
- Cote, meanwhile, also had a pair of points on her stat line with two helpers.
- Adams and Duff rounded out the Rams' point earners on the evening.
- Suffolk outshot Castleton, 36-26, but it was the Spartans who won the face-off battle, 32-27.
- Suffolk remains unbeaten all-time versus Castleton, moving to 2-0-0 against the Spartans.
- Poloskey and Cote matched career highs in goals (2) and assists, respectively.
- Adams has recorded a point in consecutive contests.
Suffolk wraps up the weekend tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 19 when it hosts Salem State in a 7:30 p.m. showdown.