BOSTON – The Suffolk women's soccer team put in the most goals since 2012 in a 9-0 trouncing of Wheelock Wednesday night at Winsor Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 9, Wheelock 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-1) | Wheelock (0-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk commanded the entire contest, pouring in five first-half goals and adding four in the second stanza to walk away with the 9-0 triumph.
- After a quiet first 15 minutes, junior Jennifer Martin broke open the scoring with a shot that looked wide, but snuck into the back at the net at 14:57.
- Martin was responsible for the Suffolk 2-0 lead as she struck at 17:02.
- Junior Paola Ortez chipped in at 24:37 with an unassisted goal of her own, the first of her collegiate career.
- Sophomore Madelyn Whipple sent a cross to senior Shannon Simmons, who extened the Rams' edge to 4-0.
- With 14:30 left in the first frame, junior Jessica Harmon found an open classmate, Alexandra Nagri to enter the break leading 5-0.
- Once again Martin broke open the scoring for the blue-and-gold in the second half, booting a ball in unassisted 24:57 into the period.
- A minute later, Melissa Adamo picked up a pass from Nagri and made it a seven-goal game.
- Down the stretch, Martin and freshman Lorena Lorezno each added another tally for teh Rams to seal the 9-0 victory.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Jordan Pettograsso made the first of her first collegiate start as the first-year registered a shutout.
- Dominique DelBene faced 20 Suffolk shots, saving 11.
- Most goals (9) since scoring 12 in a 12-0 shutout win over Anna Maria Oct. 24, 2012.
- Tied the fourth most goals all-time in the program's 10-year history, tallying nine goals on two other occasions, both 9-0 victories.
- Oct. 14, 2009 vs. Mass. Maritime
- Oct. 13, 2010 vs. Newbury.
- First back-to-back shutout since shutting St. Joseph (Conn.) (2-0) and Anna Maria (12-0) in consecutive contest in 2012.
- Martin is the first Ram with a multi-goal game since Nagri netted two in the season finale last season at Mount Ida.
- Martin is the first Ram to net a hat trick since Nagri did so in a 4-3 win at St. Joseph (Conn.) Sept. 19, 2015.
- Adamo, Lorenzo and Ortez each netted their first collegiate goals with Simmons notching her first point of the season off her own score.
- Eight different Rams recorded a point in the win.
Suffolk returns to James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park Saturday, Sept. 10 for a 1 p.m. conference opener against Anna Maria.