EAST BOSTON, Mass. – The Suffolk women's soccer team kept its GNAC record perfect Saturday as the Rams shutout St. Joseph (Conn.), 2-0, at James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 2, St. Joseph (Conn.) 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (4-2, 2-0 GNAC) | St. Joseph (Conn.) (3-3, 1-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk scored two first half goals and held off all of the Blue Jay attempts in the second stanza to capture the 2-0 win.
- Jennifer Martin kept her league-leading goal tallies up as the forward broke open the scoreless game at the 18th minute. The junior's free kick from 25 yards out sailed over Megan Ricci's head to make it a 1-0 Suffolk game.
- With 1:04 remaining before intermission, Alexandra Nagri picked up a long ball from Paola Ortez. Nagri trapped it ad finished with her left foot on the top right to give the Rams a 2-0 cushion.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Kirsten Weiker sealed her third shutout of the season thanks to eight saves.
- Ricci turned away four Suffolk attempts.
- At 2-0 in conference action, Suffolk is off to its best start against league competition in the program's 10-year history.
- Suffolk sits atop the GNAC standings with a 2-0 mark against conference competition.
- All four of the Rams' victories this season are shutouts. The four cleansheets in one year are the most since matching that number in 2013.
Suffolk takes six days rest before heading to Lasell Saturday, Sept. 24 for a showdown with the conference powerhouse. The Rams and Lazers are scheduled for a 12 p.m. contest.