NORTFIELD, Vt. – The Suffolk women's soccer team snapped a five-game losing streak Saturday afternoon when Alexandra Nagri propelled the Rams to a 5-3 victory at Nowich at Sabine Field at Haynes Family Stadium.
SCORE: Suffolk 5, Norwich 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-7-0, 3-2-0 GNAC) | Norwich (2-8-1, 1-6-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk and Norwich traded goals 59 seconds apart early on in the contest, before another set of goals in one minute went in. This time it was back-to-back Suffolk scores, both Nagri tallies, that put the Rams up, 3-1. For good measure with 2:11 remaining before the break, Jennifer Martin tacked on another goal to give the Rams a 4-1 cushion. With 1:04 off the clock in the second stanza, Norwich made it a two-goal game. As the game was going, that would not remain for long and Erika Nelson made sure of it as she had an answered just 41 seconds later to regain a three-goal edge for the Rams, 5-2, and keep the Cadets at bay. Playing for a comeback, Norwich added its final score of the day at 80:20, but the Rams held the Cadets off the remainder of the way.
- ANagri opened the scoring at the 8:11 mark with her eighth goal of the season on a rebound after Norwich keeper Miranda Lloyd made an initial save.
- A minute later and the Cadets were on the scoreboard. Mehgan McMullen put away her third goal of the season with a bomb from 30 yards out that she tucked into the top right corner of the net. Madison Oelker had a hand in the tying goal.
- Nagri put away her second goal of the day at 15:33 from 25 yards out.
- The junior forward completed her hat trick at 16:47 - just a 8:36 span - on a breakaway off along ball over the top by Erika Nelson.
- Martin added another goal for Suffolk in the 43rd minute as her eight goal of the season came on a tough angled shot. Paola Ortez set up the score.
- Just over a minute into the second stanza, Jordan Kacur put the rock into the netting. She chased down a loose ball that came over the top off the food of Ashley Carvhalo. Kacur volleyed the ball over Kirsten Weiker and into the right side.
- Nelson answered right back for Suffolk. Leandra Flores-Nieves got a hand on Nelson's shot, but could not completely turn it aside as the ball dribbled into the back of the net to regain a three-goal lead for the Rams.
- Kate Albretsen rounded out the scoring on both sides when she scored slicing the ball into the right corner off her outside foot from McMullen and a pretty setup from Madison Oelker.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Weiker earned the win in between the pipes for Suffolk. The sophomore keeper made five saves in her fourth victory of the season.
- Lloyd started the game for the Cadets in goal and made three stops, but allowed four goals.
- In the second half, Flores-Nieves turned away four Suffolk attempts.
- Suffolk won its seventh straight game against the Cadets, moving to 7-3 all-time against Norwich.
- Alexandra Nagri netted her second hat trick of her career and is the second Ram to net three goals in one game since Jennifer Martin put four away at Wheelock Sept. 7.
Suffolk entertains Emmanuel Monday, Oct. 10 at James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park. The Columbus Day GNAC matchup will begin at 3:30 p.m.