BOSTON – Jennifer Martin got the Rams on the board and the Suffolk women's soccer team held on to top a powerful Emmanuel squad, 2-1, Monday afternoon at James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 2, Emmanuel 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-7-0,4-4-0 GNAC) | Emmanuel (7-8-1, 4-3-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Nearly 40 minutes of back-and-forth scoreless action occurred before the Rams grabbed a 1-0 lead thanks to Martin. Alexandra Nagri connected in the 69th minute on a feed from Brooke Heathco to stretch Suffolk's advantage to 2-0. With under one minute to play Emmanuel eliminated Suffolk's shutout with a score at 89:27. The Saints could not get another shot off in the remaining 43 seconds as the Rams preserved the 2-1 victory.
- A failed Rams' cross was deflected by a Saints defender and Martin picked up the pieces, shooting past the gloves of Victoria Laroche to break open the scoring to 40:59 with her 10th goal of the year.
- A through ball by Heathco was misplaced by Larcohe and Nagri was there to tip in her 12th goal of the year, putting the Rams ahead by two, 2-0.
- Courtney Freadman set up Kayla Generis's on a flying cross. Generis found the back of the netting for the fifth time this season with 43 seconds remaining in the contest.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Kirsten Weiker earned her fifth win of the season with a 10-save effort.
- Laroche turned aside six Suffolk attempts in the setback, her eighth of the year.
- Suffolk won its second-ever match against Emmanuel and first since 2010.
- The Rams strung together back-to-back victories for the second time this season.
- Nagri now ranks eighth in Suffolk season annals in goals (12), while Martin's 10 sit in 10th.
- Weiker's five victories between the pipes currently tie for fourth in the Rams' all-time season lists.
Suffolk stops by Curry for a mid-week match Wednesday, Oct. 12. Game time is set for 7 p.m.