Second Half Sends Simmons Past Women’s Soccer, 2-1

Second Half Sends Simmons Past Women’s Soccer, 2-1

EAST BOSTON – Suffolk women's soccer took a one-goal lead after the first 45, but could not hold off Simmons in the second stanza as the Sharks used two strikes over a 10-minute span to take down the Rams, 2-1, Wednesday night at James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park. 

SCORE: Suffolk 1, Simmons 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-3-0, 1-2-0 GNAC) | Simmons (2-3-2, 1-2-1 GNAC) 

Each team saw its opportunities in the opening frame. Simmons looked to break open early as the Sharks had back-to-back corner kicks in 27 seconds, but could not take advantage with shots by Kristen Mihalich and Liz Donovan each going wide. 

In the 17th minute, Kashka Gammon went on a breakaway and had a one-on-one chance with Rams' netminder Julia Fieldsend. The sophomore keeper made a diving one-hand save to push the rock away from the goal posts and keep things locked at zeros.    

With nearly 10 minutes remaining, Suffolk struck to break open the scoring and take a 1-0 edge. The Sharks kept on the pressure down the stretch and Mikayla Eliott's shot in the 39th minute was punched away at Fieldsend to send the hosts into the break up by one. 

The Sharks commanded the opening of the second stanza and saw a great opportunity with just over 36 minutes on the clock. With a shuffle in front of the blue and golds net, Gammon caught Fieldsend on the field. Simmon's senior midfielder fired, but Suffolk's keeper made the save from the ground to keep the Rams in front, 1-0. 

Simmons persistency paid off and the visitors leveled the playing field in the 65th minute thanks to Gammon's put back. Ten minutes later and the tides turned completely in the Sharks favor as Sienna Caron put the visitors ahead with her first strike of the season. 

With just over 15 minutes remaining and a history of striking late, Suffolk had a handful of chances, but could not convert as the Sharks held on for the 2-1 win. 


  • After Suffolk was whistled for a foul, the Sharks were clearing their zone, but the blue and gold had other things in mind. Caleigh O'Brien stopped the clear and lifted the ball over the Sharks defenders where she found Jennifer Martin. With a one-on-one opportunity with Sharks' keeper Casey Halle, the senior co-captain drew the goalie to the left and shot right, connecting in the upper right corner to put the Rams on the scoreboard in the 35th minute.  
  • Gammon picked up Mihalich's rebound right in front of the net and snuck the ball past Fieldsend to equalize the game at 1-1 with 25:30 remaining in the second stanza.
  • Ciaira Forde sent the ball deep into Suffolk's zone to Carnon. The sophomore forward let one go from 15-yards out and stunned the Rams' entire backline and Fieldsend to put the Sharks ahead, 2-1, in the 75th minute. 


  • Despite a 15-save effort, Fieldsend slipped to 1-1-0 on the season.
  • Halle turned aside four shots in the victory. 


  • Simmons commanded the shots on the night, outshooting Suffolk 30-9 including a 19-4 second-half margin.
  • The Sharks also held the advantage in corners, 7-2. 


  • Fieldsend's 15-save effort marks the most saves by a Suffolk keepers since Kirsten Weiker recorded 16 stops in a 4-0 setback to WPI Sept. 1, 2016.
  • O'Brien has recorded points in back-to-back games for the Rams. The streak features five points on two goals and one assist. 


Suffolk returns to the road grind Saturday, Sept. 23 as the Rams pay visit to the Mustangs of Mt. Ida. First kick is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.