EAST BOSTON – Jennifer Martin recorded four goals as the Suffolk women's soccer team shutout Rivier, 5-0, Saturday afternoon in the third annual Rams Fan Fest at James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 5, Rivier 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-6-0, 4-5-0 GNAC) | Rivier (1-10-1, 0-9-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENDED
Suffolk took a 2-0 cushion into halftime thanks to scores by Alexandra Nagri and Jennifer Martin. Over the second set of 45 minutes, the Rams continue to pile on the goals with three more scores from Martin for the final 5-0 tally.
- Martin beat the defender up the left side of the field and sniped the top left of the goal from 15 yards out to open the scoring in the 15th minute.
- Nagri put away her own unassisted goal as the senior went up the left side, dribbled down the defender and found the back of the net with a soft right foot touch.
- Addisyn Lanza set up Martin's second score. Lanza crossed the rock over the middle to Martin, who sailed the ball over the head of Raiders goalie Lauren Goodspeed. In an attempt to make the save, the ball knocked off the hands of Goodspeed for the goal.
- Exactly a minute later, Martin rifled a shot over Goodspeed's head from 30 yards out to complete the hat trick.
- Off her own free kick, Martin boomed a shot top left for her fourth tally of the afternoon.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Julia Fieldsend picked up the shutout.
- Goodspeed made 14 saves in the setback.
- Suffolk held advantages in shots, 34-1, shots on goal, 19-0, and corner kicks, 8-0.
Suffolk takes a day off before heading to Pine Manor Monday, Oct. 16. The non-conference contest is set to begin at 3:30 p.m.