STANDISH, Maine – In the GNAC regular season finale for the Rams, Suffolk women's soccer dropped a contest at Saint Joseph's (Maine), 3-0, Saturday afternoon at the SJC Athletics Complex.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, St. Joseph's (Maine) 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-8-0, 4-7-0 GNAC) | St. Joseph's (Maine) (12-4-1, 7-3-1 GNAC)
Colleen Sheehan put the Monks on the scoreboard 19 minutes into action. Sheehan's second goal of the season was setup by Emily DeLuca and opened the scoring on the afternoon.
Just two minutes prior to halftime, the Monks stretched their lead to a pair of goals thanks to Sheehan's second strike of the day. This time the junior forward buried the rock unassisted to make it a 2-0 SJC contest.
Suffolk looked to make up ground over the second set of 45 minutes, but the hosts continued to hold possession for the remainder of the contest. In the 73rd minute, the Monks pushed their margin to three with Brenna Smith scoring off Lauren Stiles feed.
Down the stretch the Rams were kept quiet as the Monks went on to lock up the 3-0 shutout.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Julia Fieldsend made six stops in the setback, slipping to 6-8 on the season.
- Brooke Troup turned aside a pair of attempts to improve to 12-4-1 on the year.
- St. Joe's held advantage in shots, 22-2, including a 9-2 edge in shots on target.
- The Monks had all eight corner kick attempts in the outing.
- With her 66th career start, Jennifer Martin set a new Suffolk record for the most starts by a Ram throughout her career, displacing Gabriella Balestrier's mark of 65, which she set in 2013.
Suffolk awaits the results of the Albertus Magnus, Norwich game (5 p.m.) and the Mount Ida, Simmons contest (7 p.m.) to find out its 2017 GNAC postseason fate.
Suffolk preps for the GNAC Tourney with its regular season finale versus non-conference foe Mass. Maritime at James A. Satori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park Monday, Oct. 23. Game time in Eastie is set for 7 p.m.