CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Suffolk women's soccer team came out on the wrong side of a 6-1 decision against Lesley Friday night in its 12th season opener at Buckingham, Browne & Nichols.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Lesley 6
RECORDS: Suffolk (0-1), Lesley (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Lesley pressured Julia Fieldsend and Suffolk's defense early on, but the blue-and-gold backline held tough for over 20 minutes before the Lynx broke open the scoring. Xaelel Allen-Caballe put away a feed from Hope Seasholes in the 26th minute to give the hosts the first point of the day.
The Rams looked to level the playing field just 25 seconds later as Melanie Boisvert fired a free kick from the 45-yard line. The freshman's attempt was dead center and made Lesley's keeper Jill Narby leave her feet, but the rock grazed the crossbar to keep Suffolk off the scoreboard.
From there, the Lynx maintained their lead before adding to it with just under three minutes remaining in the first frame. Katelyn Scott slipped the ball Julia Cohn, who found Fieldsend out of position and netted a high 10-yarder to push Lesley's edge to two heading into the half.
As the second stanza opened Lesley's lead continued to grow. This time it was Clair Hounslow's boot that tacked on a goal of the Lynx. The freshman hooked the ball from well outside the left 18-yard line into top right of the netting to turn it into a three-goal game.
Ten minutes were removed from the clock before Lesley stretched its advantage a little more. The Lynx found the Rams' defense out of position including keeper Allison Rodrigues, who was at least 20 yards out. Samantha Bessey found herself on a one-on-one with Rodrigues, lofted the ball over the rookie's head and it rolled right into in between the posts.
Kailee Morehead joined the scoring frenzy and Bessey added her second of the day to put the Rams in a six-goal hole.
With just over 10 minutes remaining, Caleigh O'Brien erased Lesley's shutout and put Suffolk on the scoreboard on a free ball to trim the margin to five.
The distance was too great for the Rams to make up, however, as the Lynx maintained the lead to seal the 6-1 victory.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Over the first set of 45 minutes Fieldsend turned aside seven Lynx attempts.
- Rodrigues picked up eight saves in the second set of 45 minutes.
- Narby earned the victory in net for the Lynx behind a two-save performance.
- O'Brien scored the lone goal for Suffolk.
- Bessey led Lesely's charge with two goals and one assist with Morehead also collecting multiple points with one marker and one handout.
- Cohn, Hounslow and Allen-Caballaero each found the back of the net for the Lynx.
- Chloe Kouyoumdjian, Scott, and Seaholes all dished out one assist apiece.
- Suffolk opened the Ashley Van Vechten era.
- Laurel Goding,Julia Hunt, Carley Pearce, and Jackie Kelly all made their collegiate debuts in the starting line-up.
- Rodrigues and Lindsay Saad came off the bench in the first appearance of their college careers.
Suffolk has a quick turnaround as it is back in action in less than 24 hours, hosting Rhode Island College in its home opener tomorrow, Saturday, Sept. 1. Game time at James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park is scheduled for 1 p.m.