NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Caleigh O'Brien's goal in the 50th minute proved to be enough for the Suffolk women's soccer team as it shutout Albertus Magnus, 1-0, Wednesday night at Celetano Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-4, 2-2 GNAC) | Albertus Magnus (1-6, 0-4 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
O'Brien broke open the scoreless tie four minutes into the second stanza. The sophomore converted a feed from senior Melissa Adamo to give the Rams a one-goal edge they would not relinquish thanks to Allison Rodrigues handling the Falcons, who outshot Suffolk, 5-4, over the second set of 45 minutes.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Rodrigues picked up her second win of the season behind a two-save effort.
- Cassidy Scofield slipped for the Falcons despite a nine-save performance.
- Suffolk controlled the offensive pace, outshooting Albertus, 18-8.
- The Rams held a 5-4 edge in corner kicks.
- O'Brien, who had seven shots total, four on goal, was the only player to find the back of the net.
- Suffolk and Albertus Magnus met for the 15th time.
- Suffolk snapped a seven-game skid against the Falcons, taking down its conference counterpart for the fifth time overall and first since a 1-0 GNAC semifinals win Nov. 2, 2011.
- Suffolk trimmed Albertus Magnus' all-time series lead to 8-5-1.
- Overall, 11 of the 14 meetings between Suffolk and Albertus have been decided in a cleansheet with all five of Suffolk's wins coming in shutout fashion.
- Adamo recorded her first point of the season and first since dishing out an assist in a 7-1 victory over Pine Manor Oct. 17, 2016.
Suffolk is back in front of its home crowd Saturday, Sept. 22 for a 3 p.m. showdown with St. Joseph (Conn.). The women's contest serves as the nightcap of a Suffolk soccer doubleheader as the men's team kicks things off at 12 p.m. versus the Blue Jays.