BUZZARDS BAY, Mass. – Caleigh O'Brien put away four unanswered points to pace the Suffolk women's soccer team to 6-0 victory over Mass. Maritime in the Rams' season finale at Clean Harbor Stadium Tuesday night.
SCORE: Suffolk 6, Mass. Maritime 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (4-10-1) | Mass. Maritime (2-13-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
O'Brien opened the scoring with an unassisted strike in the 11th minute. The sophomore stretched Suffolk's edge four minutes later thanks to a feed from freshman Julia Hunt.
Allison Rodrigues secured the two-goal lead at the half for the Rams with the keeper stopping the only shot she faced over the first set of 45 minutes.
In the second stanza O'Brien got things going once again, completing her hat trick at the 57:15-minute mark. Just 2:27 later, the forward from Wilbraham, Massachusetts pushed Suffolk's cushion to four with her fourth marker of the evening.
Down the stretch, Leto Katsoufis and Hunt tacked on one goal each and Rodrigues maintained her presence in between the posts to secure the 6-0 shutout for the Rams.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Rodrigues saved all three shots she faced for the cleansheet.
- Mikayla Houlihan registered six saves in net for the Buccaneers.
- O'Brien led Suffolk's offense with four goals with Hunt having a multi-point night behind one goal and one handout.
- Katsoufis chipped in two points with one marker with Julia Fieldsend handing out one assist on the evening.
- Suffolk remains unbeaten all-time versus Mass. Maritime, moving to 5-0 in the all-time series, which began in 2009.
- The Rams shutout the Buccaneers for the second time in as many seasons and fourth time in the all-time series.
- O'Brien contributed a career-high four goals, becoming the first Ram to find the back of the net four times since Alexandra Nagri did so in the 2017 finale against Mass. Maritime, Oct. 23, 2017.
- O'Brien is the first Ram to net a hat trick in the Ashley Van Vechten era and first since Nagri did so in the offensive onslaught over the Bucs a year ago.
- Katsoufis scored her first collegiate goal.
- Fieldsend registered her first collegiate point.
- Hunt passed out her first collegiate assist.
- Rodrigues picked up her fourth shutout of the season and second-straight cleansheet.