NORTHAMPTON, Mass. – The Suffolk women's volleyball team defeated Smith, 3-1, Friday night at Ainsworth Gymnasium in the Rams' first game of the Smith College Invitational.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Smith 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-0) | Smith (0-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
All sets were a back-and-forth, close battle with the Rams' winning the first two by scores of 25-20 and 25-21. The Pioneers took the third, 25-18, but Suffolk was able to seal its second win of the season in the fourth, 25-22.
Talia Lombardo led the charge for the Rams as the sophomore put together a 10-kill, nine-assist, eight-dig and four-aces effort. Liz Kerek, who hit .750 on the day, and Chidera Nwankwo, who struck at a .556 percentage, notched six kills apiece. Kerek set up the 32-kill offense with 16 assists. Bridget Allison, Emma Feeney, and Alyssa Gibson all paced Suffolk's defense with 10 digs each.
SET ONE RECAP (25-20 SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk scored the first two points of the match, before Smith jumped ahead 5-2.
- The Rams' used a 4-0 run to regain the lead, 6-5, but it was short lived as the set leveled for the first time at 6-6.
- The score would lock four more times, before another 4-0 stretch by the Rams gave the blue-and-gold a 15-10 edge.
- Behind another run, this time five consecutive points, the score moved to 22-15 in Suffolk's favor and the Rams' closed things out, 25-20.
SET TWO RECAP (25-21 SUFFOLK)
- Smith put Suffolk in a 5-0 hole to straight the second stanza.
- The Rams battled back with eight unanswered points to pull with three, 20-17.
- A bad set by the Pioneers evened things at 21-21 and an attack error by the hosts gave Suffolk a 22-21 edge.
- The Rams went on to score the final three points of the set to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
SET THREE RECAP (25-18 SMITH)
- The Pioneers rolled out a 8-3 lead.
- Suffolk pulled within two, 15-13.
- Smith's lead quickly moved back to six points, 21-16.
- The Pioneers forced a fourth set by outscoring the blue-and-gold, 4-2, down the stretch.
SET FOUR RECAP (25-22 SUFFOLK)
- Rolls reversed from the third set with Suffolk jumping out to an 8-3 lead that quickly moved to 10-3.
- The Pioneers made it a three-point set, 13-10, before pulling within one, 16-15.
- Thanks to a kill by Nwankwo, the Rams reclaimed a three-point lead, 19-16.
- Smith kept things interesting down the stretch as the score moved to 23-22, but Suffolk coupled back-to-back to seal the set and the match.
- Suffolk has won its first two matches of the season for the first time since 2009.
Day 2 of the invitational is up tomorrow for Suffolk, who will face Husson and UMass Boston at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., respectively.