BOSTON – Johnson & Wales spoiled the Suffolk women's volleyball team's home and GNAC opener Tuesday night as the Wildcats swept the Rams inside Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Johnson & Wales 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-2, 0-1 GNAC) | Johnson & Wales (8-0, 1-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Johnson & Wales easily handled Suffolk in the first two frames and burst out of a deadlocked 10-10 third set en route to the straight set victory, its eighth straight win of the season.
Bridget Allison led the charge for Suffolk with four kills, six digs and one block, while Talia Lombardo pitched in her first double digit dig performance of the season (10) to go along with six assists, two aces and one kill. Jane Buckley's three kills added to the Rams' offense.
The Wildcats, meanwhile, notched 11 kills in each set with Emily Kalmink and Maria Coniglio each contributing nine.
SET ONE RECAP (25-8 JWU)
- Johnson & Wales' early lead of 9-2 moved to 13-4 quickly.
- Behind Starsha Tunstall at the service line, the Wildcats rattled off seven unanswered points to take a 20-5 advantage.
- A kill from Allison broke up the run, but JWU scored the final four points to seal the 25-8 first set win.
SET TWO RECAP (25-8 JWU)
- After opening with three consecutive points, JWU leaped ahead 7-1.
- The Wildcats cushion stretch to double digits on a Rams' attack error, 14-4.
- A block by Chidera Nwankwo and Buckley pulled Suffolk back within nine, 15-6.
- Johnson & Wales commanded the remainder of the way to go up, 2-0, thanks to its second 25-8 set triumph.
SET THREE RECAP (25-13 JWU)
- The Wildcats looked as though they'd breeze through the third frame, jumping ahead 10-3.
- An attack error by JWU fueled the Rams, who rallied behind Lombardo at the service line and tied the stanza at 10-10.
- Out of a JWU timeout, the visitors grabbed a 17-10 advantage and run the rest of the way to the 3-0 victory.
Suffolk continues its homestand Thursday, Sept. 15 with its Boston Commons neighbor Emerson at 7 p.m.