BOSTON –The Suffolk volleyball team suffered its third straight setback, falling to Emerson in straight sets inside Regan Gymnasium. The defeat came by set scores of 25-9, 25-14 and 25-16.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Emerson 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-3), Emerson (8-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lions used 34 kills to trounce the Rams in a 3-0 sweep. After a forceful 25-9 first frame win, Suffolk put a battle in the ensuing two sets, but it was not enough as Emerson took the second, 25-14, and locked up the match with a 25-16 third set win.
Jane Buckley's five kills led Suffolk. Bridget Allison added four to the Rams' attack with Talia Lombardo, Alyssa Gibson and Chidera Nwankwo each pitching in two. Defensively, Lombardo led the way with six digs.
Emerson received seven kills from Bella Edwards, who struck at a .263 clip. Kelley Guerra and Jules Augustine, who each hit at .500, added six kills apiece. Moira Brenna set up the Lions' offense with 23 assist. Fara Cohen controlled the defense with 12 digs and Augustine contributed four blocks to the effort.
SET ONE RECAP (25-9 EMERSON)
- Suffolk took the first point of the match, but Emerson rolled from there, rattling off eight straight points forcing the Rams to use their first timeout.
- The blue-and-gold scored two quick points out of the break.
- The Lions did not the Rams build momentum, however, as they jumped ahead 15-4.
- From there, the visitors outscored the hosts, 10-4, to lock up the first frame, 25-9.
SET TWO RECAP (25-14 EMERSON)
- The second stanza opened with a tight battle with Suffolk holding a 5-4 edge.
- Emerson leaded ahead 14-6 and the Rams' clawed back wo within four, 15-11.
- The Lions advantage was pushed to six once again.
- Suffolk was able to score just one single point the rest of the way as Emerson scored five straight to take the set, 25-14.
SET THREE RECAP (25-16 EMERSON)
- Suffolk tied the score at 11-11 at the midway point of the third frame.
- Five unanswered points gave the Lions a 16-11 lead and they did not look back from there, rolling to the 25-16 set and match win.
Continuing its homestand, Suffolk hosts its first trimatch of the season Saturday, Sept. 17 when Daniel Webster and Pine Manor come to town. The Rams will face the Eagles at 11 a.m., and see the Gators on the hardwood at 3 p.m.