BOSTON – The Suffolk volleyball team snapped its four-match skid in its tri-match closer against Pine Manor as the Rams downed the Gators 3-1.
SCORE: Suffolk 3 Pine Manor 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (4-4) | Pine Manor (2-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Pine Manor opened the contest with a convincing 25-22 first set victory. Suffolk battled back from one down and handled the Gators in three straight sets to claim the 3-1 win.
Talia Lombardo provided a double-double effort, the first of the season and fourth of her career, to pace the Rams' charge. The sophomore put up 12 digs and 10 kills to go along with four aces and one assist. Bridget Allison had an all-around day with nine kills, six blocks, four digs and four aces. Liz Kerek dished out 17 assists and added four digs.
SET ONE RECAP (25-22 PINE MANOR)
- Pine Manor jumped out to a 5-0 lead.
- Suffolk pulled with two, 8-6, but that distance remained for the next nine points.
- A kill from Allison made it a one-point set, 13-12.
- Suffolk could not pull ahead, however, as Pine Manor's lead stretched back to five, 21-16.
- The Gators held onto their advantage the rest of the way to take the frame 25-22, and go up 1-0.
SET TWO RECAP (25-9 SUFFOLK)
- After trading the first two points, Suffolk scored seven straight to hold an 8-1 lead.
- A cluster of 4-0 runs moved the scored in the Ram's favor first to 14-3, and then 20-5.
- The deficit was too large for a comeback from the Gators as Suffolk evened the score 1-1, thanks to a second set 25-9 triumph.
SET THREE RECAP (25-22 SUFFOLK)
- It was a back-and-forth battled in the third with things even at 8-all.
- Suffolk jumped ahead 15-12, but Pine Manor hung around sticking within two or three points.
- With match point set up for the Rams, the Gators strung three straight points together moving the score to 24-22.
- Suffolk earned the 25-22 set win thanks to a Pine Manor ball handling error.
SET FOUR RECAP (25-14 SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk broke open 5-5 tie went up 18-11.
- The Rams didn't look back as they outscored the Gators, 7-3, down the stretch to secure the win.
Suffolk closes its five-match homestand Tuesday, Sept. 20 when Wheelock stops by Regan Gymnasium for a 7 p.m. match.