BOSTON – The Suffolk women's volleyball team kept its winning ways going Wednesday night with a 3-1 GNAC victory over Mount Ida inside Regan Gymnasium. The win, which was the Rams' third straight, came by set scores of 25-23, 25-22, 27-29 and 25-21.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Mt. Ida 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (7-6, 1-1 GNAC) | Mt. Ida (6-8, 0-2 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk came from behind to take a 2-0 match lead, but Mt. Ida rallied a marathon third frame to force a fourth set. Determined to lock up their first conference win of the season, Suffolk broke a 3-3 tie and held onto the lead down the stretch to secure the win, 25-21.
Chidera Nwankwo's season-high 10 kills paced a Suffolk offense that saw seven of its nine players score a kill. Talia Lombardo contributed seven kills to go along with 19 handouts, 11 digs and three aces. Jessica Rexrode and Bridget Allison, who also served three aces, chipped in five kills apiece. Rexrode chipped in 13 digs and one block defensively, while Allison registered 10 digs and four blocks.
SET ONE RECAP (25-23, SUFFOLK)
- The set leveled early at 3-3.
- Mt. Ida jumped ahead 18-11 to force a Suffolk timeout.
- Out of the break, a solo bloke from Allison jump started a 5-0 Rams' stretch, which lead to a Mustangs timeout.
- Suffolk continued to role and took the lead on a Nwankwo kill, 19-18.
- Mount Ida reclaimed the advantage, 21-19.
- Nwankwo put up a block to even the score at 23-all.
- Back-to-back points – a Lombardo kill and Heidy Barriero ace – gave Suffolk the 25-23 set.
SET TWO RECAP (25-22, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk scored the first four points of the frame as Mount Ida used a timeout early.
- The Mustangs rebounded with four straight points of their own to move the score to 4-4.
- The visitors leaped ahead to 6-10.
- Suffolk tied the score at 12-12.
- The score would tie twice more, before Mt. Ida regained a 20-16 advantage.
- Rexrode strung together back-to-back aces to make it a tied-set at 20-20.
- The Rams went ahead for the first time since opening the frame on a Barreiro ace, 22-21.
- Suffolk did not look back, taking the set, 25-22, to gain a 2-0 match lead.
SET THREE RECAP (29-27, MT. IDA)
- Suffolk played from behind once again as Mt. Ida led early, 8-4.
- An ace from Emma Feeney evened the score at 11-11.
- The Rams gained a 16-14 advantage as the Mustangs called timeout.
- The score tied for the first time at 20-20.
- Suffolk went up, 22-20, and Mt. Ida used its second and last timeout of the set.
- With match point, the score tied four times, before the Mustangs coupled back-to-back points to earn the set, 29-27, and force a fourth frame.
SET FOUR (25-21, SUFFOLK)
- After a 3-3 opening, Suffolk broke open the scoring and gained a 10-7 advantage.
- The score remained close, however, with the Mustangs within one point at 12-11 and 18-17.
- A solo block from Allison pushed the Rams' lead to 21-18 and a Mt. Ida timeout ensued.
- The Mustangs pulled within two, 23-21, down the stretch, but Suffolk held off the visitors for the 25-21 set and match victory.
- Suffolk defeated Mt. Ida by a 3-1 score for the second straight season.
Suffolk takes the weekend off before a four-match week starting off Monday, Oct. 3 inside Regan Gymnasium versus Eastern Nazarene.