BOSTON – The Suffolk volleyball team shutout Eastern Nazarene inside Regan Gymnasium Monday night to pick up its fourth straight win.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Eastern Nazarene 0
RECORD: Suffolk 8-6 | Eastern Nazarene 3-11
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk easily jumped ahead 1-0 in the match thanks to a 25-16 first frame victory. The Rams came from behind in the second stanza, which went on to tie 11 times, before the blue and gold came out on top 25-21. Suffolk sealed the win with a 25-20 third set triumph.
Talia Lombardo led the way for the Rams with a double-double effort. The sophomore outside hitter struck for 10 kills and 19 digs to go along with four aces and six assists. Chidera Nwankwo recorded a season and match-high 13 kills off a .400 hitting clip. Bridget Allison contributed on both sides of the net for the Rams with six kills, 11 digs, two aces and one handout.
SET ONE RECAP (25-16, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk's 4-1 lead doubled to 8-2 on an Allison ace and forced a Lions timeout.
- Allison scored her second ace of the day out of the break to put the Rams up 9-2.
- Eastern Nazarene pulled within two, 13-11.
- Suffolk regained a hefty advantage, 17-12, as Kaylee Hewitt called for her second timeout of the stanza to talk things over.
- The Rams did not let up, however, as they went on to seal the set, 25-16.
SET TWO RECAP (25-21 SUFFOLK)
- The Rams fell in a 6-2 hole to start the set.
- An ace from Lombardo put Suffolk within one, 11-10.
- The frame went on to tie 11 times before a kill from Liz Kerek kill put the hosts out in front, 22-21.
- A Nwanwko kill was the first back-to-back point from either team to give the Rams a two-point edge.
- After a Lions timeout, Suffolk coupled two points together to earn the win, 25-21, and take a 2-0 match lead.
SET THREE (25-20 SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk leaped out to a 6-1 lead.
- Out of Eastern Nazarene's second timeout of the stanza, the Lions made it a one-point set, 11-10.
- Suffolk continued to hold its edge, but not for long as the playing field leveled at 14-all.
- Points were traded back-and-forth before the Rams held a 21-19 advantage on a Leah Pedersen kill.
- Back-to-back kills from Nwankwo set up match-point, which was put away on a kill by Kerek.
- Suffolk is on its longest win streak (4) since September 2013.
- Lombardo notched her third double-double of the season and sixth of her career.
- Nwankwo hit a season-high 13 kills.
Suffolk returns to action Wednesday, Oct. 5 when GNAC rival stops by Regan Gymnasium for a 7 p.m. tilt.