BOSTON – The Suffolk women's volleyball team suffered a straight set setback on Columbus Day as the Raiders of Rivier rolled past the Rams, 25-16, 25-22 and 25-18, inside Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Rivier 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (9-9, 2-4 GNAC) | Rivier (19-2, 3-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rivier quickly took a 1-0 lead, easily handling the Rams in the first set, 25-16. Suffolk put up a fight in the second, but the Raiders held onto the 25-22, second set win and sealed the conference victory with a 25-18 third frame triumph.
Bridget Allison led Suffolk's attack for the 11th time this season as the sophomore provided five kills to go with a strong defensive effort of seven digs and two blocks. Emma Feeney pitched in a four-kill, 12-dig effort, while Talia Lombardo provided three kills and eight digs.
SET ONE RECAP (25-22, RIVIER)
- The set opened in see-saw fashion, both teams trading points until a 2-2 tie.
- Rivier strung together five unanswered points for a 10-3.
- The Raiders lead blossomed to 15-4, before turning into a lopsided 20-10 set.
- Three straight points from Suffolk chipped away at Rivier's lead, but the guests managed to hold off a comeback from the Rams down the stretch, clinching the set with back-to-back kills.
SET TWO RECAP (25-22, RIVIER)
- Suffolk was in front in the second set early, 5-4.
- The lead changed twice, before the score tied four times the first time at 7-all and the last at 10-10.
- A service error from Suffolk's Lombardo gave the Raiders an 11-10 lead that grew to a 14-11 edge.
- The Rams powered back, however, with a 5-1 spurt to regain a 16-15 edge.
- Suffolk remained in front at 21-20, before Rivier outscored the hosts 5-1 down the stretch, including a 3-0 run to close the set, 25-22.
SET THREE RECAP (25-18, RIVIER)
- Rivier leaped out to a 7-3 lead.
- The Raiders held onto the advantage at the midway point, 16-14.
- A 6-0 run, broken up by a Suffolk timeout, sealed the 25-18 frame win and match victory for Rivier.
Suffolk travels to Plymouth State Thursday, Oct. 13 for a non-conference contest. The match is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.