BOSTON – The Suffolk volleyball team slipped in straight sets in its GNAC tri-match opener against Simmons Saturday morning inside Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Simmons 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (10-15, 3-7 GNAC) | Simmons (10-11, 7-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Simmons quickly put away the first frame, 25-9, but Suffolk hung around in the ensuing two sets, but the Rams could not rally a complete come back. The Sharks completed the sweep by set scores of 25-20 and 25-17.
Suffolk's sophomore threesome of Bridget Allison, Chidera Nwankwo and Talia Lombardo powered the Rams' offense scoring 18 of the blue and gold's 23 kills. Nwankwo's seven led the way with Lombardo and Allison providing six and five, respectively. Liz Kerek and Rachel Fancy set up Suffolk's offense notching 11 and nine assists, respectively. Defensively, Lombardo led the charge with eight digs with Allison led the Rams at the net with two blocks.
SET ONE RECAP (25-9, SIMMONS)
- Simmons rattled off the first five points of the frame.
- The Sharks' lead quickly blossomed to 9-1, then 15-3, before Suffolk took a timeout.
- The Rams could not put a run together out of the break, however, as Simmons rolled to the 25-9 set one win.
SET TWO RECAP (25-20, SIMMONS)
- The scored locked four times before either team could couple back-to-back points.
- The visitors were the first to do so and jumped out to a 7-4 lead.
- Suffolk hung around and kept it a two point set with back-to-back Allison kills.
- Down the stretch an ace from Allison pulled the Rams within one, 20-19, and Simmons called a timeout to talk things over.
- The Sharks used the break to gain momentum and outscored the Rams, 5-1, the rest of the way to take the set, 25-20.
SET THREE RECAP (25-17, SIMMONS)
- Rolls reversed in the third frame as Suffolk leaped out to a 7-3 lead.
- Simmons battled, however, and tied the score at 8-all.
- The Sharks gained a 9-8 lead that moved to 12-8 then 17-11.
- Out of a Rams timeout, the Sharks continued its momentum and put the set away, 25-17.
GOOD JOB GRADUATE
Prior to first serve, Suffolk celebrated the playing career of its graduating player, Sydney Littlefield.
Suffolk concludes its regular season schedule this afternoon versus Saint Joseph (Conn.) at 3 p.m.