PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The eighth seeded Suffolk volleyball team was no match for top seed Johnson & Wales as the undefeated Wildcats swept the Rams, 3-0, inside the Wildcat Center in the GNAC Quarterfinals Tuesday night.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Johnson & Wales 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (11-16) | Johnson & Wales (31-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Johnson & Wales kept its straight set ways in tact as the Wildcats nearly doubled the Rams points to seal their semifinals fate with set scores of 25-12, 25-13 and 25-12.
Suffolk was limited to just 12 kills throughout the three sets led by a four-kill effort from Chidera Nwankwo. Emma Feeney and Talia Lombardo pitched in three kills. Bridget Allison paced the Rams defensively with six killS and two blocks with Feeney adding five digs to the effort.
SET ONE RECAP (25-12, JWU)
- Johnson & Wales got the night going with six answered points.
- As the Wildcats approached the midway point, the Rams trailed the hosts by eight, 14-6.
- The lead quickly went to double digits, 19-8, and blossomed to the final 25-12.
SET TWO RECAP (25-13, JWU)
- A similar second stanza ensued, however, the Rams got on the board through the first seven points, 6-1.
- An ace from Feeney kept Suffolk within striking distance, 9-5.
- The Rams hope was short-lived as the Wildcats outscored the Rams, 11-3, to leap ahead by double figures, 18-8.
- JWU rolled from there to take the set, 25-13.
SET THREE REACP (25-12, JWU)
- Suffolk hung with JWU for the opening portion of the stanza and tied things up at 5-all.
- The Wildcats put together 5-0 stretch to regain a 10-5 edge, that quickly escalated to 16-9 advantage.
- The Rams would only score three more times down the stretch as JWU sealed the win, 25-12.