NASHUA, N.H. – The Suffolk volleyball team dropped a straight set decision to GNAC powerhouse Johnson & Wales Saturday afternoon as part of a conference tri-match at Rivier's Muldoon Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Johnson & Wales 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-6, 0-2 GNAC) | Johnson & Wales (12-0, 2-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Wildcats took sets one and two by scores of 25-12, respectively and secured the sweet with a 25-17 third set win.
SET ONE RECAP (25-12, SUFFOLK)
- The frame remained closed at the midway point as the score was equal at 9-all.
- JWU used a 4-0 run and followed that with six unanswered points to gain a 19-10 lead.
- Another 4-0 spurt by the hosts put the Rams in a 23-11 hole.
- Kayla Barbera broke up the stretch, but the Wildcats sealed the frame with a kill and ace by Katie Liedhold.
SET TWO RECAP (25-12, SUFFOLK)
- JWU scored the first five points of the stanza.
- The hosts 5-0 lead turned into a 14-3 cushion.
- Suffolk could not make up ground as the Wildcats cruised to a 25-12 set win.
SET THREE RECAP (25-17, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk jumped out to a 5-1 advantage.
- The Wildcats flipped the switch and outscored the Rams, 6-1 to gain a 7-6 advantage.
- After Hannah Fabiano evened the playing field at 7-all, JWU reclaimed the edge and didn't look back.
- Ten unanswered points gave the Wildcats a 17-7 cushion that turned into a 25-17 set and match win.
- Suffolk's limited offense received a team-high five kills from Barbera, who also contributed a pair of digs and one block.
- Fabiano pitched in four kills to the attack with Chidera Nwankwo adding three.
- Liz Kerek notched eight assists, while Talia Lombardo's stat line featured five digs, four assists four aces and one kill.
- Barbera paced Suffolk's offense for the first time in her career.
The Rams remain on the road as the make the short trip to Emmanuel Wednesday, Sept. 27. The battle between the league and Boston rivals is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.