STANDISH, Maine – In its first of two matches Saturday afternoon, the Suffolk volleyball team fell in straight sets to Saint Joseph's (Maine) at the Harold Alfond Center. The sweep came by set scores 25-20, 25-20 and 25-18.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, St. Joseph's (Maine) 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (12-11, 5-5 GNAC) | St. Joseph's (Maine) (14-12, 6-4 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk suffered its third straight sweep as it fell in by an identical 25-20 score in the first and second frame, respectively. The Rams stormed out to an early lead in the third, but could not hold off a powerful comeback by the Monks, who stormed back to secure the sweep, 25-18.
SET ONE RECAP (25-20, ST. JOSEPH'S (MAINE))
- The score stood at 8-all, before SJC used an 8-1 run to grab a 16-9 cushion.
- Suffolk inched back within two, 21-19, as Dakhensey Marcellus served up her first ace of the afternoon.
- The Rams did not make up any more ground, however, as the Monks outscored the visitors, 4-1, down the stretch to take the frame, 25-20.
SET TWO RECAP (25-20, ST. JOSEPH'S (MAINE))
- Suffolk found itself in a 16-7 hole before Bonny Ducharme called a timeout to gain composure.
- The Rams put together back-to-back points out of the break, but could not gain momentum as the Monks maintained an 18-13 distance.
- Suffolk crept slowly back within reach thanks to big plays from Bridget Allison and a pair of aces by Hannah Fabiano.
- Sarah Mullahy followed a Jessica Rexrode kill with one of her own to make it a 21-19 second stanza.
- Similar to the first frame, the Monks went on to score four of the final five points to lock up the set, 25-20.
SET THREE RECAP (25-18, ST. JOSEPH'S (MAINE))
- The tides turned in the third with Suffolk going up 7-3.
- The Rams remained in front at the midway point, 13-11, before SJC made its comeback.
- The Monks evened the score three times before flipping the lead, 16-15.
- St. Joe's took a 19-15 cushion with five unanswered points and Suffolk called for a timeout to break up the run.
- Out of the break, the Monks' spurt continued as they cruised to a 25-18 set and match win.
- Fabiano paced Suffolk's attack with a nine-kill effort to go along with 15 digs and three aces.
- Kayla Barbera contributed eight kills and five digs, while Allison notched six kills, a pair of blocks and one dig.
- Talia Lombardo set up the Rams' offense with 22 handouts. The junior added eight digs, three kills and one ace.
- Mercellus helped on the defensive end with 12 digs.
- Suffolk held advantages in kills, 34-33, digs, 57-56, and aces, 7-4.
Suffolk concludes tri-match action in Maine versus Framingham State at 3 p.m.