OCTOBER 28 | 1 PM
Series History: Suffolk trails, 5-9 Since 2003
OCTOBER 28 | 3 PM
Series History: Suffolk Leads, 10-4, Since 2003
Stay up-to-date with all the latest news and notes on Suffolk Athletics by connecting with the Rams on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Be sure to use the hashtag #RamNation for an insider's look at Suffolk's teams and student-athletes.
- If Suffolk defeats either Simmons or Saint Joseph (Conn.) the Rams will seal their playoff fate.
- If Suffolk takes down both Simmons or Saint Joseph (Conn.) and Mount Ida defeats Saint Joseph's (Maine) and Johnson & Wales, the Rams will take seventh thanks to their 3-2 regular-season win over the Mustangs.
- If Suffolk falls to both Simmons and Saint Joseph (Conn.) the Rams fate lies in Emmanuel's and Mount Ida's hands. Thankfully, the Rams swept the Saints and put together 3-2 thrilling win over the Mustangs to win the tiebreaker.
LAST TIME OUT
Playing in its second straight five-set match in as many outings, Suffolk volleyball came out on the wrong side as UMass Dartmouth took down the Rams, 3-2, Thursday night inside Regan Gymnasium. The non-conference decision came by set scores, 17-25, 26-24, 25-23, 26-28 and 15-8.
MORE READING: UMass Dartmouth Spoils Volleyball's Senior Day in Five
After putting together one of the most impressive openings of the season in Suffolk volleyball history, the Rams have been on a downward slope as of late, falling in six straight to dip to 12-14 overall and 5-5 in league play.
Suffolk relies heavily on the all-around performances by freshman Hannah Fabiano and Talia Lombardo. Fabiano leads the way offensively for the blue-and-gold with 2.69 kps with the middle hitter adding 2.54 dps and 0.42 bps to the defense. Lombardo is second on the squad with 1.88 kps, chipping in 0.75 aces per set and 2.30 dps. Liz Kerek has held down the setting responsibilities, dishing out 6.37 aps. Rachel Fancy has helped out as Suffolk's setter as well, handing out 3.67 aps. Dakhensey Marcellus anchors the defensive effort with 3.26 dps.
Simmons (17-9) currently sits in second-place in the GNAC standings thanks to a 9-1 league ledger. The Sharks are undefeated in October action, winning eight straight all, but one in straight sets.
Morgan Weeg's impressive 4.22 kps on a .266 hitting clip leads the way offensively with Jarene Harberts (2.92 kps) and Riley Roberge (1.66 kps) pitching into the effort. The Sharks' 11.27 kps is set up by both Kenna McCarthy (4.67 aps) and Faith Gray-Williams (4.16 aps).
Defensively, Julia Fusco paces the pack with 3.75 dps with Harberts (2.06 dps) and Alexandra Erk Thompson (0.44 dps) contributing to the effort.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Since picking up four straight wins to straight the series (dating back to 2003), Suffolk has only won a pair over the last 10 years to trail Simmons all-time, 5-9.
- The Sharks have won the last six meetings with the Rams including a straight decision in Beacon Hill last year.
- In three set matches Suffolk is 2-5 with the Rams owning a 3-4 record when taking Simmons to four sets.
- The Suffolk, Simmons series has never gone to five sets according to the Rams' record book, which dates back to 2003.
BLUE JAYS BREAKDOWN
St. Joseph snapped an 11-match skid Thursday night with a sweep of Pine Manor on Senior Night. The win puts the Blue Jays at 5-18 overall, but they have yet to take down a league foe this season, sitting at 0-10, against conference competition.
Jasmine Buckley and Carly Ruzbasan record over 2.00 kps for St. Joseph's offense with 2.55 kps and 2.13 kps, respectively. Brenna Miller handles the setting responsibilities, handing out 5.42 aps with Buckley serving as the Blue Jays biggest threat at the service line thanks to 0.72 aces per set. The trio of Janell Molina (3.49 dps), Buckley (3.39 dps) and Ruzbasan (3.33 dps) are St. Joseph's main defensive threats.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Suffolk owns a 10-4 series lead over St. Joseph (Conn.) dating back to 2003.
- The Rams won the last meeting in straight sets in Boston.
- When playing in straight sets versus the Blue Jays, Suffolk is 6-3 and is undefeated (2-0) if the match is decided in four sets.
- Five-set thrillers are also in favor of the Rams, with the blue-and-gold boasting a 2-1 ledger in such meetings.
- Under Bonny Ducharme's guidance, Suffolk is 1-1 versus USJCT.
Suffolk waits seeding of the 2017 GNAC Women's Volleyball Tournament.