CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Suffolk volleyball team dropped a straight set decision to Morrisville State in its second match of the MIT Invitational at the Rock Cage Saturday morning. The setback came via set scores 25-22, 25-10 and 25-21.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Morrisville State 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (0-2) | Morrisville State (5-2)
SET ONE RECAP (25-22, MORRISVILLE STATE)
- The Mustangs jumped out to a 3-0 edge before Suffolk responded, stringing seven straight points together to switch the score in its favor, 8-4.
- The Rams hung onto the lead at the midway point, 11-8.
- Morrisville State climbed back in behind a 4-1 stretch to equalize the first frame at 12-all.
- Suffolk did not reliniquish the advantage, however, as kills from Hannah Fabiano and Bridget Allison kept the blue-and-gold ahead, 14-12.
- The Mustangs had other things in mind though and locked the set at 14-all and rolled the next two points to make it a two-point swing in their favor, 6-14.
- Suffolk hung around the remainder of the way, but was unable to pull closer than three points to fall, 25-22.
SET TWO RECAP (25-10, MORRISVILLE STATE)
- The team's traded points to open the stanza with Suffolk up 2-1 in the beginning.
- Morrisville State scored 10 unanswered points to gain an 11-2 cushion.
- Suffolk made a run of its own to trim the deficit in half, 12-6, but a 9-1 stretch by the Mustangs made it a 21-7 set.
- Despite three points from the Rams, Morrisville's hefty advantage was too much ground to make up and Suffolk, falling 25-10.
SET THREE RECAP (25-21, MORRISVILLE STATE)
- Each team scored five unanswered to get the frame going with Suffolk opening action before Morrisville responded to even the playing field at 5-all.
- Back-and-forth action remained as the set stayed equal at 9-9.
- The Mustangs took a two-point advantage that blossomed into an 18-13 margin.
- Suffolk rallied and used six consecutive points to go up, 19-18.
- With the Rams ahead, 21-19, Morrisville State put six straight points to claim the set, 25-21.
- Fabiano notched 13 kills on a .300 hitting percentage to anchor Suffolk's 30-kill attack. The sophomore contributed four digs to the defensive efforts.
- Talia Lombardo commanded the setting responsibilities with 24 assists to go along with seven digs, a pair of aces and one kill.
- Kayla Barbera pitched in seven kills and two digs.
- Dakhensey Marcellusr ecorded 12 digs to pace the Rams' defense.
- Suffolk and Morrisville State met for the first time in program history.
Suffolk concludes action at the MIT Invitational versus Colby at 2 p.m.