SATURDAY, SEPT. 29 // 11:00 AM
SATURDAY, SEPT. 29 // 3:00 PM
BOSTON – The Suffolk volleyball team is scheduled for its first home tri-match of the season Saturday, Sept. 29 as the Rams are set to welcome Colby Sawyer and Mass. Maritime to Regan Gymnasium. The blue-and-gold will take on the Chargers in GNAC action in the first match of the day at 11 a.m., with the Buccaneers and Rams tangling in the closer at 3 p.m.
Stay up-to-date with all the latest news and notes on Suffolk Athletics by connecting with the Rams on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Be sure to use the hashtag #RamNation for an insider's look at Suffolk's teams and student-athletes.
LAST TIME OUT
Kayla Barbera and Talia Lombardo each produced personal bests numbers for the Suffolk volleyball team Tuesday night, but it would not be enough as the Rams fell, 3-1, to GNAC foe Rivier inside Regan Gymnasium.
Suffolk looks to snap a four-match skid that put the Rams at 2-8 on the season and 1-2 in conference contests.
A pair of sophomores buoy Suffolk's 8.94 kps in Hannah Fabiano (2.61 kps) and Kayla Barbera (2.44 kps). Talia Lombardo is the main setter for Suffolk as the senior dishes out 6.97 assists per set. At the service line, Barbera and Lombardo provide a one-two punch with 0.52 and 0.45 aces per set, respectively.
Barbera (2.19 dps) and Fabiano (1.57 dps) add to the defense that is led by their classmate Dakhensey Marcellus' 4.21 dps.
Colby Sawyer takes a three-match win streak into Saturday's showdown that pushed the Chargers to 9-7 on the season in 2-2 in conference contests.
Maddie Bromley (2.33 kps) and Corutney Murray (2.21 kps) each produce 2.00 kps or more to pace Colby Sawyer's 9.62 attack. Anna Allen and Olivia Goodrich have split time as the Chargers setter, dishing out 7.07 and 6.79 assists per set, respectively.
Defensively, Morgan Flynn leads the way with 3.92 dps with Bromley (2.75 dps) and Naarah Cox (0.72 bps) adding to the effort.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- The Suffolk, Colby Sawyer series dates back to 2001 with the Chargers holding each of the six meetings.
- Five of Colby Sawyer's wins have come in straight sets.
- The Rams and Chargers went the distance for the first time in series history last season, Suffolk fell, 3-2.
Mass. Maritime has yet to find the win column this season through nine matches.
The Bucs offense is paced by Marie Harrison and Jen Roy, who each contribute 1.56 kps. Madison Coughlin has maintained the setting responsibilities with 3.89, while also leading the way at the service line with 0.41 aces per set.
On the defensive side of the net, Christina Ruggeri (3.44 dps) and Harrison (2.56 dps) lead the way.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- The Suffolk, Mass. Maritime series dates back to 1996.
- The Rams are undefeated, 14-0, all-time versus the Buccaneers.
- Suffolk has swept MMA in all, but three meetings.
- Last year, the blue-and-gold took down the Bucs, 3-1, in Buzzards Bay.
- Suffolk is 6-9 in season-opening matches in the past 15 seasons.
- Last season the Rams won their second straight season debut with a 3-1 victory at Mass. Maritime.
Suffolk caps off a four-match homestand Tuesday, Oct. 2 when it steps out of GNAC action to tangle with Wentworth. First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m.