BOSTON – The Suffolk volleyball team closed out a tri-match Saturday afternoon with a non-conference straight set loss to the University of New England at Emmanuel's Jean Yawkey Center.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, University of New England 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (4-12) | University of New England (5-12)
SET ONE RECAP (25-23, UNE)
- Suffolk started with a 6-3 edge before the Nor'easters scored three straight to even things at 6-all.
- The lead exchanged in UNE's favor at 9-8 and the Nor'easters went on to take a 13-9 cushion at the midway point.
- Suffolk hung within two points and an ace by Talia Lombardo made it a one-point set, 20-19.
- The Rams would not get any closer as the Nor'Easters traded points with them the reaminder of the way to lock the first frame up, 25-23.
SET TWO RECAP (25-15, UNE)
- With Suffolk ahead 6-5 the Nor'easters rattled off a 6-0 stretch to go ahead 10-8.
- UNE's advantage bloomed into a 16-10 lead.
- The Rams could not find their grove as they trail 19-11.
- Down the stretch, the Nor'Easters used a 6-3 spurt to take the stanza, 25-15.
SET THREE RECAP (25-12, UNE)
- See-saw action consumed the opening of the third with the score even at 7-all.
- The Nor'Easters rallied once again and rattled off four consecutive points to gain a 11-7 lead.
- A pair of Suffolk points broke up the run but it wouldn't be enough as UNE continued to pour on the points and seal the sweep.
- Bridget Allison's four goals led the way for the Rams with Hannah Fabiano adding three.
- Lombardo handed out 10 assists to go with three aces, two kills and one block.
- Emma Feeney held down the defense with 11 digs with Allison and Sarah Mullahy adding three blocks and two blocks, respectively.
- Suffolk and UNE renewed a rivalry, meeting for the second-time ever and first since 2006.
Suffolk welcomes Saint Joseph (Conn.) to Regan Gymnasium Wednesday, Oct. 10. The conference clash is scheduled for a 7 p.m. first serve.