BOSTON – Talia Lombardo sealed her spot as Suffolk volleyball's all-time greatest threat at the service line to lead the Rams past the University of Saint Joseph (Conn.) in straight sets Wednesday night at Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, USJ 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-12, 3-3 GNAC) | USJ (8-10, 1-6 GNAC)
SET ONE RECAP (25-20, SUFFOLK)
- Out of a 10-all tie, Suffolk scored four straight points to take a 14-10 advantage that blossomed to a 20-12 edge.
- Out of the Blue Jays second timeout of the set, the visitors outscored USJ, 6-2, to pull within four, 22-18, and force Scott Blanchard to call his first timeout to talk things over.
- The break did not halt the Blue Jays who kept things interesting and made it a three-point set, 23-20.
- A blocking error by USJ set-up set point for the blue-and-gold and the frame was clinched with an ace by Dakhensey Marcellus.
SET TWO RECAP (26-24, SUFFOLK)
- Blanchard used both his timeouts early as Suffolk got off to a slow start.
- Lombardo's first ace of the night and 200th of the senior's career trimmed the margin to two, 10-8, but Suffolk found itself trailing 15-8 at the midway point.
- The Rams coupled back-to-back point, but the Blue Jays held them off from a real run and put them in an 22-12 hole.
- Suffolk stormed back with five consecutive points to trim the margin to 22-18.
- USJ scored two points in a row to set-up set point, but the blue-and-gold had other things in mind as it held off the visitors with an 8-0 run to comeback and take the stanza, 26-24.
SET THREE RECAP (25-14, SUFFOLK)
- An early 9-4 Suffolk edge quickly turned into a 15-7 cushion.
- The Blue Jays pulled within six, 17-11, but Suffolk kept them there as it scored back-to-back points to regain an eight-point advantage and USJ used its second and last timeout of the frame.
- Suffolk remained on cruise control the remainder of the way, outscoring the Blue Jays 6-3 down the stretch to seal the set and match, 25-14.
- Lombardo finished the night with three aces to go along with 33 assists, six kills and a pair of blocks.
- Hannah Fabiano and Kayla Barbera each contributed 10 kills to pace Suffolk's 42-kill offense.
- Dakhensey Marcellus anchored the defense with 18 digs with Barbera and Emma Feeney adding seven and six digs, respectively.
- Suffolk won its third straight match against USJ, marking the longest win streak since stringing five together from 2009-13.
- The Rams improved to 12-4 since 2003 versus the Blue Jays.
- Suffolk swept USJ for the seventh time to move to 7-3 in straight sets against the Blue Jays.
- Lombardo served her 200th career ace, becoming the first-ever Suffolk volleyball player to accomplish the feat.
- Lombardo racked up her second double-double of the season.
Suffolk welcomes Anna Maria and Curry to Regan Gymnasium for its final home tri-match of the season. The Rams face off against the AMCATS at 12 p.m. and battle the Colonels in a non-conference clash at 4 p.m.