BOSTON – The Suffolk women's volleyball team kept its foot on the gas pedal in GNAC outing to open a home tri-match with a convincing straight set victory over Anna Maria Saturday afternoon inside Regan Gymnasium. The decision came by set scores 25-6, 25-12 and 25-20.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Anna Maria 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-12, 4-3 GNAC) | Anna Maria (3-19, 0-8 GNAC)
SET ONE RECAP (25-6, SUFFOLK)
- With the set tied at 1-all, Emma Feeney came in a dealt from the service line a Suffolk strutted out to a 10-1. Over the run, Feeney provided four aces with Bridget Allison and Sarah Mullahy each recording one kill apiece.
- Suffolk continued to command the frame as it stretched its cushion to 20-4 before Anna Maria used its first timeout.
- The Rams remained in control to take the set, 25-6.
SET TWO RECAP (25-12, SUFFOLK)
- After Suffolk put away the first five points, the AMCATs crept back in, cutting the gap to two, 5-3.
- Ashley Fahey came in to serve for the Rams and commanded the blue-and-gold to an 11-4 advantage. During that spur, the sophomore served back-to-back aces and Kayla Barbera and Chidera Nwankwo each put down one kill.
- From there, Suffolk doubled its cushion at 20-10 before Allison's seventh kill of the afternoon set up set point.
- The AMCATs held off the Rams on the next play, but it would be enough as the blue-and-gold locked up the stanza, 25-12 thanks to a service error by Hannah Mitchell.
SET THREE RECAP (25-20, SUFFOLK)
- A turn of events presided in the third frame as Anna Maria took control and Suffolk found itself in a three-point hole, 11-8.
- Mullahy sparked the Rams initial comeback as the junior produced back-to-back kills before the Rams evened the playng field at 11-all on an AMCATs misplay.
- Anna Maria remained in front, however, until Leah Pedersen helped the blue-and-gold lock the score at 14-14.
- A bad set by Anna Maria's Sarah Lathrop gave the Rams the edge they would not relinquish as the host went ahead 18-14 and maintained that distance at 24-20.
- The AMCATs used a timeout in hopes to slow down Suffolk, but Talia Lombardo served her second straight ace, fourth of the outing, to seal the set and match win.
- Allison controlled the offense for the Rams with eight kills.
- Mullahy added seven kills.
- Lombardo set up the attack with 24 assists on her stat line with seven digs, four aces and three kills to her credit as well.
- Feeney was the main threat at the service line as the senior registered seven of Suffolk's 18 aces.
- Suffolk won its second-straight match over Anna Maria, moving to 5-3 all-time versus the AMCATs.
- Every match in the Suffolk, Anna Maria series has been decied in straight sets.
The Rams wrap up Saturday action this afternoon as they take on Curry at approximately 4 p.m.