BOSTON – The Suffolk volleyball team coasted past Curry in straight sets Saturday afternoon to conclude its final home tri-match at Regan Gymnasium. The non-conference victory came by set scores, 25-13, 25-7 and 25-19.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Curry 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (7-12) | Curry (5-14)
SET ONE RECAP (25-13, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk gained a 10-5 early edge that turned into a 17-7 cushion to force a Colonels' timeout.
- The break halted the Rams somewhat as Curry climbed back within eight, 21-13.
- Suffolk controlled things from there, scoring the final four points of the frame to claim the set, 25-13.
SET TWO RECAP (25-7, SUFFOLK)
- It was all blue-and-gold in the second stanza as it turned an 11-6 lead into a 17-7 advantage.
- From there, Suffolk kept the Colonels off the board with an 8-0 run to end the set.
SET THREE RECAP (25-19, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk had to play catchup in the third set as Curry put away the first five points.
- A huge block from Chidera Nwankwo and Bridget Allison equalized the stanza at 6-all and a see-saw affair ensued.
- Kayla Barbera evened the score at 11-all, before Talia Lombardo served back-to-back aces to give Suffolk its largest lead of the frame, 13-11, and force the Colonels to take a timeout.
- Curry outscored the Rams 4-1 to tie things once again, this time at 15-all.
- From there, the score would knot at 16 and again at 17 before Suffolk scored three in a row to gain a 20-17 edge.
- Curry used its second timeout of the set and this time Suffolk did not lose its composer as it outscored the visitors 5-2 down the stretch to seal the sweep.
- Lombardo contributed nearly everywhere on the court with the senior providing 33 assists, 11 digs and nine aces.
- Barbera led the attack with 11 kills to go with four aces and 12 digs.
- Hannah Fabiano and Allison pitched in eight and five kills, respectively.
- Dakhensey Marcellus added 13 digs.
- Suffolk defeated Curry for the first time since 2013 to move to 5-3 all-time versus the Colonels.
- The Rams swept the Colonels for the second-time ever in the all-time series and first since the inaugural meeting in 2010.
- Suffolk and Curry played its second-ever straight set decision with the Rams owning both wins in such matches.
- The Rams extended their win streak to three stragith.
- Lombardo was one ace shy of recording her second-ever triple-double. She is the only Suffolk volleyball player in program history to record a triple-double throughout her career, achieving the feat in a five-set thriller nearly a year ago, Oct. 14, 2017, versus Curry.
- Lombardo produced her second double-double of the season.
- Barbera registered her third double-double of the year.
Suffolk takes one day rest before venturing to Gordon Monday, Oct. 15 for a 7 p.m. non-league match.