PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Suffolk volleyball team forced a fourth frame with a thrilling third set, but could not complete the comeback as Saint Joseph's (Maine) put the match way 3-1 at the Wildcat Center. The decision came by set scores 27-25, 25-15, 25-27 and 25-20.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, St. Joseph's (Maine) 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (11-16, 7-5 GNAC) | St. Joseph's (Maine) (10-16, 5-6 GNAC)
SET ONE RECAP (27-25, ST. JOSEPH'S (MAINE))
- The Monks put the first four points on the board and gained a 7-2 advantage.
- The Rams charged back with a 5-2 spurt to trim the deficit to 9-7.
- SJC did not let go of the lead, but the Rams hung around and made it a one-point frame on a Kayla Barbera kill at 14-13.
- Suffolk trailed until a late 5-1 run that put the blue-and-gold in front, 25-24.
- St. Joe's scored the final three points even though Scott Blanchard called a timeout to break up the spurt to take the frame.
SET TWO RECAP (25-15, SAINT JOSEPH'S (MAINE))
- Out of a 4-all time the Monks put the Rams in a 7-4 hole that turned into a 16-7 deficit.
- The margin was too much ground for the blue-and-gold to make up as SJC locked up the frame 25-15.
SET THREE RECAP (27-25, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk climbed out of a 7-3 hole and took a 9-8 lead on an ace by Dakhensey Marcellus.
- The score flipped in the Monks' favor and the Rams had to play catchup once again as they trailed 17-15.
- This time Suffolk's comeback came with the Rams evening the playing field five times before coupling back-to-back points to force the fourth frame.
SET FOUR RECAP (25-20, ST. JOSEPH'S (MAINE))
- Once again Suffolk had to play catchup as the Monks maintained a 17-11 advantage.
- A 5-3 stretch made it a three-point set, 20-17, but SJC regained a six-point cushion with three consecutive points.
- The Rams responded with a 3-0 stretch of their own but it wouldn't be enough as the Monks scored the final two points they need to clinch the set and the match.
- Chidera Nwankwo led the way offensively with 11 kills and put together an impressive showing of six blocks at the net.
- Hannah Fabiano joined Nwanko with double-digit kills with 10 to her credit.
- Barbera contributed on both sides of the net with 10 digs and nine kills.
- Allison helped the offense, which was set up by Talia Lombardo (39 assists). The senior setter also chipped in seven digs.
- Emma Feeney and Marcellus powered the defensive unit with 25 and 23 digs, respectively.
Suffolk's season continues as the Rams will make their third consecutive conference tournament appearance Tuesday, Oct. 30 in the quarterfinals.