PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Suffolk volleyball team's historic run came to an end Thursday night as the Rams fell to No. 2 Johnson & Wales, 3-0, in the GNAC Semifinals inside the Wildcat Center. The season-ending setback came by set scores 25-12, 25-16 and 25-13.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, No. 2 Johnson & Wales 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (12-17) | No. 2 Johnson & Wales (30-1)
SET ONE RECAP (25-12, NO. 2 JOHNSON & WALES)
- Suffolk lead early on 6-4.
- The Wildcats broke open a 7-all tie and used the momentum in their favor, going ahead 21-20.
- After Scott Blanchard took a timeout JWU posted four straight points to clinch the set, 25-12.
SET TWO RECAP (25-16, NO. 2 JOHNSON & WALES)
- The Rams hung with the Wildcats at the midway point of the second stanza, 11-9.
- JWU outscored Suffolk, 7-1, to stretch its advantage to 18-10.
- With set point in Johnson & Wales' favor, 24-11, the blue-and-gold put together four straight points to cut the margin to eight, 24-16.
- The Rams' run ended on an attack error by Hannah Fabiano, which locked up the frame for the hosts, 25-16.
SET THREE RECAP (25-13, NO. 2 JOHNSON & WALES)
- JWU turned an early 7-3 edge into a 17-8 advantage.
- The teams traded points before the Wildcats scored three straight to secure the set, 25-13, and match.
- Bridget Allison and Chidera Nwankwo each provided five kills to lead Suffolk's offense.
- Kayla Barbera and Fabiano recorded four kills apiece.
- Talia Lombardo registered a double-double effort with 19 assists and 11 digs.
- Dakhensey Marcellus contributed 13 digs.
- Suffolk made its first-ever appearance in the conference semifinals.
- Lombardo put together her sixth double-double of the season.