NEW LONDON, N.H. – Suffolk volleyball did what no team has done before, bested Colby Sawyer, to run its win streak to five straight. The 3-1 victory came Saturday afternoon when the Rams wrapped up a GNAC tri-match at the Hogan Sports Center via set scores 25-13, 25-19, 23-25 and 25-15.
SCORE: Suffolk 3 | Colby Sawyer 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (14-5, 5-0 GNAC) | Colby Sawyer
SET ONE RECAP (25-13, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk went ahead early, 8-1. That stretch featured a pair of kills from Hannah Fabiano and two points by her classmate Kayla Barbera, who supplied one ace and one kill.
- The Rams advantage grew to double figures at the midway point, 16-6.
- Both teams scored seven points from there for the final 25-13 margin.
SET TWO RECAP (25-19, SUFFOLK)
- From a 6-all tie, Suffolk edged ahead, 10-7, after two kills by Fabiano and one credited to Harmony Johnson.
- The Rams maintained a two-point distance until assembling a 4-0 run that stretch their cushion to 19-14, which forced the Chargers to take a timeout.
- Out of the break, Suffolk continued to pile on the points and a solo block by Stephanie Rheaume scored the final point of the stanza to give the visitors a 2-0 match lead.
SET THREE RECAP (25-23, COLBY SAWYER)
- It was a tightly contested fourth frame that featured a back-and-forth opening to keep things locked at 5-all.
- Fabiano put down three straight kills to push the Rams ahead, 8-5.
- The advantage held true until Colby Sawyer charged back to even the score at 12-12.
- Suffolk did not let go of the edge and it remained in front at 18-15 before the Chargers used a timeout.
- The huddle paid off in the hosts favor who used a 5-2 stretch to even things up at 20-all.
- The Rams used their own break to halt CSC and managed to go up 23-21.
- Colby Sawyer's second timeout of the set helped out again as it scored two streak points of the break to level the playing field at 23.
- Scott Blanchard called his team over for the second time, but this time the timeout did not help Suffolk as the Chargers scored the final two points to force the fourth stanza.
SET FOUR RECAP (25-15, SUFFOLK)
- The Rams looked to bounce back but found themselves in a 6-4 hole.
- Blanchard used an early timeout to get Suffolk back on track. The break worked out for the blue-and-gold who went on a 7-1 run of the huddle to go ahead 11-7.
- Suffolk never looked back from there as it did not let CSC closer than three points the rest of the way to secure the victory.
- Fabiano put together a double-double of 19 kills and 10 digs to lead the way.
- Johnson registered a double-double of her own with 44 assists and 10 digs to go along with three kills.
- Kenzley Bell had a 10-kill, nine-dig, three-ace, one-block outing.
- Sarah Mullahy had eight kills and one block.
- Dakhensey Marcellus added 18 digs, six handouts and a pair of aces.
- Rheaume finished with five digs, six blocks and three digs.
- Suffolk defeated Colby Sawyer for the first time.
- The victory marks the Rams' fifth straight the longest win streak since matching that number Sept. 18-24, in 2005.
- The Rams open GNAC play 5-0 for the first time since 1997.
- Fabiano produced her second straight double-double, fourth of the season and 13th of her collegiate career.
- Johnson registered her fourth double-double.
- Johnson had a career-high 44 handouts.
- Rheaume record a personal-best six blocks and four block assists.
Suffolk will have its work cut out for itself Wednesday, Oct. 9 when it welcomes No. 15 Johnson & Wales to the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court for a 7 p.m. GNAC meeting.