SATURDAY, MAY 4 // 1:30 PM
BOSTON – The top-seeded Suffolk baseball team continues its chase for the 2019 GNAC Championship as the four-time defending champion Rams are scheduled for a Saturday, May 4 semifinal showdown with second seed Saint Joseph's (Maine) at Fraser Field in Lynn, Massachusetts at 1:30 p.m.
The advances to the championship contest, with the loser headed to the elimination game Saturday night.
Stay up-to-date with all the latest news and notes on Suffolk Athletics by connecting with the Rams on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Be sure to use the hashtag #RamNation for an insider's look at Suffolk's teams and student-athletes.
2019 GNAC BASEBALL TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
FIRST ROUND – TUESDAY, APRIL 30 / WEDNESDAY, MAY 1 – SINGLE ELIMINATION
Game 1: #3 Johnson & Wales defeated #6 Anna Maria, 7-0 - Box Score
Game 2: #4 Lasll defeated #5 Albertus Magnus (at Brandeis), 7-4 – Box Score
SEMIFINALS – SATURDAY, MAY 4 – FRASER FIELD - LYNN, MASS.
Game 5: #3 Johnson & Wales vs. #4 Lasell (Elimination Game) – 10:00 a.m. – Live Stats | Video
Game 6: #2 Saint Joseph's (Maine) vs. #1 Suffolk – 1:30 p.m. – Live Stats | Video
Game 7: Winner of Game 5 vs. Loser of Game 6 – 5:00 p.m. – Live Stats | Video
CHAMPIONSHIP – SUNDAY, MAY 5 – FRASER FIELD - LYNN, MASS.
Game 8: Winner of Game 6 vs. Winner of Game 7 – 12:00 p.m. – Live Stats | Video
Game 9: If Necessary – 3:30 p.m.
MORE READING: 2019 GNAC Baseball Tournament Central
LAST TIME OUT
Top-seeded Suffolk baseball started its journey to its fifth consecutive conference crown with a 4-3 GNAC Quarterfinals victory over fourth-seeded Lasell on a brisk Thursday night at East Boston Memorial Park.
Suffolk claimed its spot in the GNAC Tournament's winner's bracket for the fifth time in as many years with a 4-3 quarterfinals triumph over Lasell to improve to 23-16-1 on the year.
Tim Brigham's bat is two hits shy of 60 on the season as the junior outfielder is producing at a .397 clip with 45 runs brought in and 20 runs scored. Suffolk's one through four hitters are also consistent contributors in Blase Cormier (47 H, 29 RBI, 33 R), Rich Gilbride (39 H, 24 RBI, 35 R, 13 SB), Will Hopkins (47 H, 25 RBI, 37 R, 18 SB) and Trevor Lee (40 H, 19 RBI, 32 R, 10 SB).
SUFFOLK IN THE GNAC TOURNEY
- Since joining the GNAC ranks in 2000, Suffolk has yet to miss a conference tournament and 2019 is no different.
- The Rams run for their fifth straight conference crown and ninth overall this weekend.
- Suffolk garnered a first-round bye for the first consecutive campaign, third season in the Anthony Del Prete era and 10th time overall since the league went into a play-in portion in 2002.
- The blue-and-gold is featured as the bracket's top seed for the second time in as many years and eighth time in program history.
- As the No. 1 seed, the Rams have gone on to claim three of their eight conference championships including the 2018 trophy.
- Overall the Rams have played for GNAC glory in the title tilt on 16 occasions, candling the last 12 years.
- In its 19 appearance in the league tournament, Suffolk sits 51-12 overall and 13-2 under Del Prete.
- The Rams have advanced in the winner's bracket for the fifth consecutive year.
- Suffolk is currently on an eight-game GNAC Tournament win streak, which dates back to the 2015 campaign.
Saint Joseph's, who locked up the second seed in the tournament with a 13-3 league ledger, moved into the winner's bracket behind a 4-3 quarterfinals victory over third seed Johnson & Wales Thursday night.
Joey Murphy is the top threat at the dish for the Monks with 58 hits on a .420 batting average for 20 RBI and 41 runs scored. Jared Gagne, who is hitting .423, is also a consistent contributor with 55 hits, 29 RBI and 44 runs scored. Greg Emanuelson's 46 hits, meanwhile, have brought in a team-high 46 runs with the catcher powering off 17 extra-base hits including six jacks.
Matt Bergeron is likely to start Saturday's outing as the RHP has proven to be SJC's ace this season with an ERA of 2.45 through 47.2 innings with 27 Ks. Zach Begin (37.2 IP, 5.73 ERA, 43 Ks) and Johnathan Flynn (21.2 IP, 1.25 ERA, 12 K) are available in the Monks' rotation as well with Jonathan Marchia (25.0 IP, 2.16 ERA, 38 K) set to close for St. Joe's.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Suffolk picked up game two at Maine in the regular-season to move to 24-28 all-time versus the Monks.
WE MEET AGAIN
Suffolk and St. Joseph's split the regular-season meeting April 30 in Standish, Maine with the Monks taking game one, 15-8, and the Rams wrapping up the regular-season title in game two with a 3-1 decision.
SUFFOLK VS. SJC IN THE GNAC TOURNEY
- The Rams and Monks are no strangers in the GNAC postseason, meeting 19 times.
- Overall, Suffolk trails the tournament tilts with SJC, 7-12.
- Of the 19 meetings in the playoffs between the foes, 12 have come in the championship with Suffolk winning the title against the Monks in 2009, 2016 and 2018.
- Suffolk is on a two-game win streak versus St. Joe's in the playoffs, which included back-to-back title games in 2016 and 2018, respectively.
- The Rams are 4-1 versus the Monks in the conference tournament with Del Prete as skipper.
The winner of Saturday's semifinal action clicks its ticket to the championship contest on Sunday, May 4 at 12 p.m. The losing team, has to play its way to the title tilt against the victor of the quarterfinals, elimination action between three seed Johnson & Wales and fourth seed Lasell, who take the diamond in game 1 on Saturday at 10:00 a.m.