LYNN, Mass. – All the scoring came in the first frame and it was all second-seeded Saint Joseph's (Maine) needed to defeat top-seeded Suffolk in the semifinals of the 2019 GNAC Baseball Tournament Saturday afternoon at Fraser Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 1 | Saint Joseph's (Maine) 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (23-17-1) | Saint Joseph's (Maine) (31-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk had to make up ground quickly as St. Joe's put up three runs in its first time at the dish. The Rams wasted no time responding as Rich Gilbride led off with a base hit and Trevor Lee drew a walk to move Suffolk's shortstop into scoring position. A base hit from Blase Cormier scored Gilbride to dice the margin to a pair, 3-1.
The Rams had multiple chances to change the score including walk-off potential with the go-ahead run at the plate in the ninth, but the Monks turned a game-ending double play to secure the victory.
- Kevin Sinatra threw a complete-game outing. The senior LHP let up three runs (one earned) on six hits and one walk with five Ks.
- Zach Begin went the distance on the hill for SJC. He put together a one-run, five-hit, five-walk, seven-strikeout performance.
- Gilbride, Cormier, Tim Brigham, Ben Isaak and Connor Troio each produced one hit for Suffolk.
- Gilbride scored the Rams only run, which was brought in by Cormier.
- Suffolk and SJC squared off in the GNAC tournament for the 20th time.
Suffolk will look to keep its season alive and a chance to raise the GNAC Championship trophy for the fifth straight season in a do-or-die matchup versus Johnson & Wales tonight at Fraser Field.