TUCSON – Suffolk softball saw its open day winning ways come to an end as Augsburg handled the Rams, 9-0, in the closer of the first day of action at the Tucson Invitational Saturday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Augsburg 9
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-1) | Augsburg (5-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Devlin Frost knocked the first of Suffolk's only two hits, both of which came off the bat of the junior, in the top of the first, but the Rams did not rally behind it with the Auggies shutting down the inning scoreless.
The same can't be said for the bottom half the inning that opened with a single and turned into a three-run lead for Augsburg.
Suffolk went three-up, three-down in the top the second, before another Auggies run crossed home in the second to put the Rams at a four-run distance.
A five-run bottom of the third inning propped Augsburg advantage to nine. Down the stretch Suffolk could not dig itself out of hole. Frost's second shot of the day came with one out in the fourth, but a ground out to second by Jill Pulek and a strikeout by Delaney Sylvester kept it a 9-0 Auggies game.
- Frost was the lone Ram to record a hit in the setback, both singles.
- In her first start of the season, Taylor Holmes gave up seven runs, six earned, off nine hits in 2.1 innings of work. The junior struck out two hitters and walked one.
- Jaclyn Flint came on in relief for the Rams with the sophomore throwing 2.1 innings, allowing one run on one hit and sat down two batters.
- Samantha Anderson earned the win for the Auggies. In 5.0 innings, she let up two hits and recorded four strikeouts.
- Frost ran her hit streak to three games.
Suffolk will take on Eastern Connecticut State tomorrow at 11 a.m.