TUCSON – The Suffolk softball team wrapped up its fourth day at the Tucson Invitational with a 9-3 setback to Stevens Institute of Technology.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Stevens 9
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-5) | Stevens Institute (7-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk put on a hitting show in the bottom of the first, going through its entire line-up to take an early 3-0 lead. Singles from Sydney Littlefield, Devlin Frost and Jill Pulek loaded the bases for Delaney Sylvester, who hit a single of her own, to open up the scoring. All runners moved over on a passed ball with Frost coming in for a 2-0 margin. With two-outs, Morgan Parmeter joined in the single game to score Pulek to give the Rams a 3-0 cushion after one complete inning.
From there, the tides turned in Stevens favor with the Ducks putting together a three-run inning of their own together in the top of the third. After the first Suffolk's bats quieted down and Stevens heated up adding the go-ahead run in the fourth and four insurance runs in the sixth to make it an 8-3 Ducks contest. Stevens tacked its final run in the seventh for the final 9-3 margin.
- Frost was nearly perfect at the plate, going 3-for-4. The junior, who scored one of the Rams' three runs, was the lone Ram with multiple hits on the afternoon.
- Parmeter (1-2), Littlefield (1-4), Miranda (1-4), Pulek (1-4), and Sylvester (1-4) each recorded one hit.
- Parmeter tallied one RBI with Littlefield and Pulek accounting for Suffolk's other two runs, scoring one each.
- Ali Yamakaitis pitched 5.0 innings in the setback, her second of the season. The junior twirler gave up five runs, two earned, off nine hits and struck out three batters.
- Jaclyn Flint, Hannah DelCervo and Taylor Holmes all saw 2/3 inning of relief work.
- Christine LaRochelle earned the win in the circle for Stevens with a complete-game, three-run, eight-hit, four-strikeout effort.
- Frost matched a career-high three-hits.
Suffolk wraps up action at the Tucson Invitational tomorrow when it takes on Hamline and Dickinson.