EAST BOSTON – The Suffolk softball team secured its first series sweep of 2017 thanks to Jaclyn Flint's walk-off single that sent the Rams to a 6-5 nightcap win over Curry Tuesday night at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 6, Curry 5
RECORDS Suffolk (9-11) | Curry (10-14)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Ashley Zulla got the score rolling in the bottom of the first as the freshman struck a single to right field and advance to second on a wild pitch. Devlin Frost's double to left plated her fellow outfield and just like that the home team was up, 1-0. A Colonels mistake let the Rams' run their lead up to two after one complete frame.
Suffolk added to its advantage in the bottom of the third. With two down, an RBI single from Jill Pulek scored Frost, who reached on a fielder's choice. Two hitters later, Jaclyn Flint brought in Delaney Sylvester and Pulek to make it a 5-0 Rams' game.
Curry got on the board for the first time in the afternoon with a pair of runs in in the top of the fourth to trim the deficit to three. The Colonels cut the deficit even more in the top of the sixth with a solo shot, cutting the Rams' lead to 5-3. With new arm Flint in the circle for the Rams, Curry kept the moment off Michaela Colleran's homerun as Marissa Bruno put one over the centerfield fence and brought in Hannah Fleming with her to equalize the contest at 5-all heading into the bottom of the sixth.
The Rams left one runner on in the bottom of the sixth and Flint fanned a batter in a crucial one-on, one-out situation to keep things leveled at 5-5 through 6.5 innings.
Flint kept her heroics going at the plate. After Frost drew a walk, Pulek sent a shot to left, but it was snatched in midair to put two outs on the board. Sylvester kept the inning alive with a single to right center and put Frost in scoring position on third. On the first pitch, Flint barreled a single through the right side to bring in the go-ahead run, Frost, and lift the Rams to the 6-5 victory.
- Flint finished the day 2-for-4 at the dish with three RBI.
- Sylvester matched Flint's 2-for-4 effort to go with one RBI and one run scored.
- McKenzie McGrath also had a multi-hit outing with a 2-for-3 effort.
- Frost scored three runs with Zulla, Pulek and Sylvester each crossing home once.
- Taylor Holmes worked the first 5.0 innings inside the circle. She allowed three runs (one earned) on four hits with four Ks and two walks.
- Flint earned the win inside the circle. In 2.0 frames, the sophomore gave up two runs on two hits, sitting down two batters.
- McKenna Barlow went the distance for Colonels, letting up six runs (five earned) on nine hits and two strikeouts in 6.2 frames.
- Suffolk strung together back-to-back wins for just the second time this season.
- The Rams' two straight wins to open the home portion of its schedule for the third straight season.
- Suffolk won its fifth straight against Curry, sweeping the Colonels for the second consecutive year.
- Flint is undefeated inside the circle this season, 2-0.
Suffolk returns to GNAC action and East Boston Memorial tomorrow as it welcomes Simmons for a 6 p.m. doubleheader.