BOSTON – The Suffolk softball team run ruled Mt. Ida twice, to sweep the GNAC twin bill Monday night at East Boston Memorial Park. The Rams grabbed game one 9-1 in six innings and used a nine-run fourth to capture the nightcap, 13-3, in five.
GAME 1 SCORE: Suffolk 9, Mt. Ida 1 – 6 Innings
GAME 2 SCORE: Suffolk 13, Mt. Ida 3 – 5 Innings
RECORDS: Suffolk (19-14, 11-6 GNAC) | Mt. Ida (11-18, 5-11 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk put three on the board in the first frame and didn't look back from there, holding the Mustangs through four. The Rams added two runs to their cushion in the bottom of the fifth with Mt. Ida crossing home in the top of the sixth for the first time on the day, but the lone run was no match for four Rams' runs in the home half of the sixth that sealed up the 9-1 victory for the blue-and-gold.
In the nightcap, it was the Mustangs that struck first, leading off the game with one run in the first frame. Suffolk righted the wrong in the bottom of the second with a run of its own and went ahead thanks to three scores in the bottom of the third. The Rams put the contest away with a monster fourth, which featured nine runs to take a 13-3 lead. Behind Jaclyn Flint inside the circle, the Rams retired the side to seal the run-rule win and series sweep.
- Fresh off her first-ever GNAC Corvias Player of the Week, Delaney Sylvester did not disappoint, scattering a 5-for-5, five-run, two-run, one-walk day over the course of the day games. The junior knocked a bomb in the opener to earn four RBI and brought one run in the closer with a 2-for-2 effort.
- Devlin Frost added power at the plate with the junior having 4-for-6 day to finish the night with three RBI, and four runs. In game one she rocked a triple.
- Sydney Littlefield had a day as well, excelling in game two with a 2-for-4 showing to go with two runs and one RBI. She also came home once in the opener.
- Flint, who also excelled in the circle for the Rams in the nightcap, produced at the dish. The sophomore's highlight at bat came in game two, going 2-for-4 for three RBI and one run, to go with a one-hit, one-walk, one-run showing in the series' opener.
- Taylor Holmes dealt game one, allowing just one run on two hits with three walks and two Ks.
- Flint earned the win in game two with a three-run (two-earned), three-hit, two-walk, four-strikeout day.
- Suffolk remains unbeaten versus Mt. Ida under Jaclyn Davis, moving 17-3 all-time against the Mustangs with the Rams' wins 10 and 11 straight over the GNAC foe.
- The Rams match their season-best win streak of four games.
- Sylvester became the second Ram this season to string three straight games together with jacks as the junior went yard in the opener of the series after knocking dingers in each game versus Lasell.
- Holmes improved to 8-6 on the year inside the circle.
- Flint kept her pitching record unblemished, improving to 4-0 on the season.
Suffolk takes just one day off before heading to Albertus Magnus Wednesday, April 26 for a 3 p.m. contest.