SCORE: Suffolk 59 | Norwich 49
RECORDS: Suffolk (10-4, 2-0 GNAC) | Norwich (6-9, 1-2 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk got off to a slow start, scoring just four field goals in the first 10 minutes to fall into a 13-9 hole with the first frame in the books.
Matters completely changed in the second as the Rams outscored the Cadets, 18-5, over the second set of 10 minutes to take a 27-18 lead into halftime. The quarter featured a late 10-0 spurt from Suffolk that close the first half action to send the teams into the locker room.
Fouls put Suffolk in trouble in the third as the Cadets were in the bonus just 4:31 into the action. Luckily the Rams nine-point half time distance was enough to keep the blue-and-gold in front 38-33 as the games transitioned to the final frame.
Lopes jump started a Rams' run with a traditional three-point play as the visitors outscored the hosts 7-2 in the first two minutes of the fourth quarter and built a double-digit distance, 45-35, on a fast-break layup from Emily Welling.
The Cadets cut the margin back to six with just over four minutes remaining in regulation before Suffolk strung six straight points together to double the distance, 55-43. Down the stretch, the Rams held off a Norwich comeback to take the 59-49 conference victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Hackett's night finished with 23 points on an 11-for-15 effort from the floor. The junior also recorded four rebounds, one assist, one block and one steal.
- Lopes had a 15-point performance off the bench. The freshman shot 50 percent (5-10) from the field and went 4-for-5 at the charity stripe. She grabbed five caroms to go along with one dime.
- Jenni-Rose DiCecco chipped in seven points, while Welling added six.
- Suffolk shot 43.6 percent (25-54) from the floor, 21.7 percent (4-19) from behind-the-arc and 71.4 percent (5-7) from the foul line as a team.
- The Cadets won the battle on the boards, 40-22.
- Suffolk won its second straight game versus Norwich to move to 22-9 all-time versus the Cadets.
- The Rams have opened league action with three straight wins for the second straight season.
- Hackett's produced career-highs in points (23) and field goals made (11).
- Lopes registered personal-bests in points (15), field goals made (5), free throws made (4) and rebounds (5).
- Welling posted a career-high in points (6), field goals made (6), steals (2) and blocks (3).
Suffolk is back in the friendly confines of Regan Gymnasium Saturday, Jan. 19 when it welcomes Johnson & Wales for a 1 p.m. match up.