BOSTON – For the first time since 2003, Suffolk volleyball took down Framingham State as the blue-and-gold Rams defeated the visitors 3-1 inside Regan Gymnasium Saturday afternoon. Suffolk secured the win by set scores, 25-20, 18-25, 25-19 and 25-19.
SCORES: Suffolk 3, Framingham State 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (10-7) | Framingham State (6-14)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk grabbed the first set, but Framingham State rebounded in the second. The host Rams went ahead 2-1 in the match thanks to a 25-19 third frame win and put together an identical fourth stanza score to seal the 3-1 win.
SET ONE RECAP (25-20 SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk grabbed a 16-9 cushion at the midway point.
- Seven unanswered points by the Framingham Rams leveled the playing field at 16-16.
- The score evened twice more before Suffolk regained the advantage, 20-19, thanks to an ace by Talia Lombardo.
- The blue-and-gold rallied behind Lombardo's ace and outscored FSU, 5-1, to take the set, 25-20.
SET TWO RECAP (25-18, FRAMINGHAM STATE)
- A see-saw affair was present as the set equalized at 7-all.
- Framingham built a three-point cushion, 14-11, that turned into an 18-12 advantage.
- Out of a Suffolk timeout, Kayla Barbera and Sarah Mullahy teamed up for a block, but the hosts Rams could not build momentum off that as FSU went on to maintain its six-point lead 21-15.
- Suffolk went on a run with match point, scoring three consecutive points, but Framingham secured the set thanks to a kill by Brandey Rodriguez.
SET THREE RECAP (25-19, SUFFOLK)
- Five ties and six lead changes were present through the opening portion of the frame.
- A kill by Hannah Fabiano followed by a FSU attack error gave Suffolk its first two-point edge of the set, 8-6.
- Suffolk maintained its edge and back-to-back aces by Fabiano turned it into a 16-9 blue-and-gold frame.
- FSU was determined to make a comeback and behind 3-0 spurt pulled within five, 20-15, and kept it there again at 23-18.
- The teams traded points before a monster kill by Fabiano locked up the frame for Suffolk.
SET FOUR RECAP (25-19, SUFFOLK)
- The score stood even at 8-all.
- Suffolk rattled off four unanswered points including back-to-back kills by Lombardo to go ahead 12-8.
- A back-and-forth battle ensued with the blue-and-gold remaining in front, 17-11.
- A 5-0 stretch by Suffolk set up match point with Bridget Allison's seventh kill of the afternoon winning the frame, 25-19, and the match for the SU Rams.
- Three different Rams record double figure kills with Fabiano's 15 kills leading the way. Lombardo and Barbera rounded out the trio with 11 and 10 kills, respectively.
- Dakhensey Marcellus anchored Suffolk's defensive effort with 27 digs with Liz Kerek, who dished out 39 assists, adding nine digs.
- Barbera, Sarah Mullahy and Fabiano all notched a pair of blocks.
- Suffolk won its first meeting with Framingham State since 2003.
- The SU Rams picked up their first victory over FSU in the Bonny Ducharme era.
- The match went into four sets for the third time since the series began in 2003.
- At 10-7, Suffolk has notched double digit victories for the second straight season and ninth time overall dating back to 2003.
Suffolk closes its homestand Tuesday, Oct. 10 as Becker stops by Beacon Hill. First serve in the non-conference contest is scheduled for 7 p.m.