SALEM, Mass. – The Suffolk volleyball team stayed alive, forcing a fourth set, but could not complete the comeback as Salem State handled the Rams in the final frame to take the 3-1 non-conference victory Wednesday night at Twohig Gymnasium. Suffolk's setback came by set scores, 25-17, 25-17, 25-27 and 25-11.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Salem State 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-6) | Salem State (6-4)
SET ONE RECAP (25-17, SALEM STATE)
- Neither team earned a point until Darcy McDowell coupled back-to-back kills to put the hosts ahead 4-2.
- The consecutive spikes by McDowell sparked a stretch for the Vikings that put the Rams in a 7-3 hole.
- Out of a timeout, Salem cruised on a 7-1 spurt to stretch its advantage to 14-4.
- Suffolk played catch and used four straight points to pull within six, 18-12.
- Bridget Allison's second kill of the stanza made it a five-point distance, 20-15.
- The Vikings kept the Rams comeback at bay, outscoring the visitors, 5-2, to claim the frame, 25-17.
SET TWO RECAP (25-17, SALEM STATE)
- After four ties, with the last coming at 4-all, Salem strutted on a 9-2 run to gain a hefty 12-6 cushion.
- The Vikings put cruise control on, holding off the Rams and limited them to single points here-and-there, to take the frame, 25-17.
SET THREE RECAP (27-25, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk jumped ahead early, 7-1.
- Salem State responded and cut the deficit to two, 7-5.
- The Rams rebounded and gained a 12-8 lead at the midway point.
- The Vikings continued to comeback and thanks to four unanswered points flipped the witch on the blue-and-gold, 16-15.
- Suffolk played catchup with a 4-0 run of its own to go in front, 19-16.
- Another 4-0 spurt, this time by the Vikings, gave the hosts a one-point edge, 22-21.
- The score tied three times including 24-all before a bad set bySuffolk's Chidera Nwanko set up match point for Salem, 25-24.
- The Rams rallied around a kill by Ashley Fahey and a block by Nwankwo to turn the tides, 26-25.
- Talia Lombardo locked up the set with a kill to force the fourth session.
SET FOUR RECAP (25-11, SALEM STATE)
- Salem broke a two-all time with 11 consecutive points to make it a lop-sided set, 11-4.
- A solo block by Sarah Mullahy broke up the stretch, but it wouldn't be enough as the Vikings went on a 6-1 run to extend its cushion to 16-6.
- Suffolk attempted to pull back within reach and came within eight, 18-10.
- The Vikings held off the Rams, however, outscoring the visitors, 7-1 the remainder of the way to clinch the set and match, 25-11.
- Allison was Suffolk's main offensive ingredient with eight kills to go along with a 10-dig effort.
- Nwawnko added seven kills off a .263 hitting percentage.
- Lombarod provided 22 assists, nine digs, two kills and a pair of aces.
- Fahey chipped in everywhere with six digs and four kills.
- Dakhensey Marcellus held down the defense with 20 digs.
- Marcellus had 20-plus digs for the third time in her career and first time this season.
Suffolk concludes a four-match road swing Saturday, Sept. 22 when it travels across the Boston Common for a non-conference clash at Emerson. The match is scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m.