NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Suffolk softball team broke open a 2-2 tie in the fifth and cruised from there to lock up a 9-3 win over Albertus Magnus at Celentano Field Thursday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 9, Albertus Magnus 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (21-14, 13-6 GNAC) | ALBERTUS MAGNUS (24-12, 12-6 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENDED
The team's traded two runs in the first and second with Suffolk breaking open the scoring to lead off the game with a pair of runs and Albertus Magnus putting two on the board in the bottom of the second.
The score stood still until the top of the fifth when Suffolk grabbed the edge for good. Madison Eucalitto brought the go-ahead run around the bases. The junior second baseman scored Karina Miranda, who took Delaney Sylvester's place on the bags after the junior catcher singled to open the frame.
Seven insurance runs in the seventh inning secured the win for the Rams, despite a bases loaded, one-out jam from the Falcons in the home half of the seventh.
- Jaclyn Flint and Sylvester each went 3-for-4 to pace Suffolk's offense. Flint, who had one double, recorded three RBI and one run scored, while Sylvester brought one run in and scored one.
- A quartet of blue-and-gold batters collected two hits on the day in Littlefield (2-4), Ashley Zulla (2-4), Devlin Frost (2-4) and Pagano (2-3).
- Littlefield paced the bunch in runs scored (2), with seven Suffolk players scoring one run each.
- Littlefield, Pulek, Eucalitto and Pagano all recorded one RBI apiece.
- Ali Yamakaitis allowed three runs on seven hits and two walks with two strikeouts in 7.0 innings to earn the win.
- Laura Anderson fell in the circle for Albertus Magnus with the Falcons' starter letting up nine runs on 17 hits and 14 walks with just one strikeout in 7.0 frames.
- Suffolk swept Albertus for the first time since 2014.
The Rams return to East Boston Memorial Park Saturday, April 29 for a doubleheader against Anna Maria. Prior to the 12 p.m. first pitch, Suffolk will honor the playing career of its two graduating seniors Morgan Parmeter and Pagano.